ATTORNEY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
- Houston, TX
PN#19865ATTORNEY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service - Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients,
• Partnership & Teamwork - Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals,
• Integrity & Candor - Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior,
• Dignity & Diversity - Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual,
• Innovation & Imagination - Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives.
Comprised of over 100 of Houston's finest attorneys across ten sections, the Legal Department has the pivotal role of providing litigation support, negotiating and drafting contracts, handling taxation matters, advising on personnel actions, dealing with the acquisition of sale of City property, overseeing City elections, drafting ordinances, advising on ethics and conflicts of interest, and dealing with neighborhood protection and quality of life issues. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto - "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The City of Houston seeks a commercial litigation attorney with at least 8 years of experience to handle civil commercial matters, as well as litigation involving City ordinances, election contests, civil rights and state and federal constitutional issues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Representing the City and City employees and public officials in complex commercial and constitutional matters.
• Handling written discovery and motion practice in federal and state courts.
• Researching and preparing trial court briefs and motions.
• Taking and defending depositions of fact and expert witnesses.
• Identifying experts and assisting in the development of expert testimony.
• Evaluating case value and making settlement recommendations.
• Preparing case memoranda and representing the City in mediations.
• Preparing for and handling bench trials, evidentiary hearings, and jury trials in state and federal courts.
• Supervising outside counsel.
• Counseling the client departments.
• Assisting the City Attorney and others with special projects such as drafting City Attorney Legal Opinions.
EDUCATIONAL:Requires a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar Association accredited college of law.
EXPERIENCE: 6 years of experience handling civil commercial matters.
LICENSE:Must be a member of the Texas State Bar and have a valid Driver's License.
Preference will be given to applicants that possess:
• Jury trial experience, including as first chair.
• Excellent oral advocacy skills.
• Exceptional writing skills.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Familiarity with federal and state court judges and court practices and procedures.
• Expertise with Texas and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
• Must be willing to work extended hours as needed to accommodate case load demands.
• Proficiency with Word, Outlook, Excel and the use of technology in the practice.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:Yes
All applicants will be expected to provide a writing sample, transcripts and letter(s) of recommendation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION:Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in similar positions.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: http://www.www.houstontx.gov
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or please call 832.393.6090.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. If you need special services or accommodations, call TTY 7-1-1.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Back to top