ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV)
- Houston, TX
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division: Houston Water
Section: Wastewater Operations/Compliance
Workdays & Hours: MON - FRI, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Subject to change
About Houston Water:
Houston Water consists of approximately 1500 drinking water and wastewater professionals including engineers, scientists, and facility operations and maintenance personnel. The City of Houston Water and Wastewater Utility is a regulated public health agency governed by federal and state laws. Our staff maintains professional licenses issued by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and other public health agencies.
Our business is managed in accordance with a threefold mission of protecting public health, protecting the environment and providing superior customer service. These core missions are captured within our organizational mission statement.
The City of Houston wastewater system has consistently been awarded Gold and Silver awards from the National Association of Clean Water Agencies, in recognition of our ability to produce wastewater discharges in compliance with federal regulations that protect the public and the aquatic environment.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS The Assistant Director Wastewater Operations:
- Manages the operations of 40 wastewater treatment plants and ~400 lifts stations.
- Administers the Wastewater Operations branch's operational policies and procedures. This includes revising as needed and conducting training to ensure adoption and interpretation.
- Establishes operational objectives aligned with TCEQ and EPA required reporting.
- Evaluates, promotes and aligns the branch's operational practices with the strategic vision, mission and goals.
- Manages all technical and operational functions to ensure compliance with all federal and state regulatory requirements and permits.
- Responsible for the overall operations of collection system repairs, plant operations, electrical & automation and maintenance management.
- Develops, analyzes and monitors key performance indicators to meet service and financial objectives, balance resources, improve overall effectiveness and improve organizational efficiency.
- Develops budgets and ensures effective operations and regulatory compliance.
- Responds to the requests from the public, administration, City Council and executive management.
- Directs the development, implementation and evaluation of program initiatives across multi-functional lines.
- Implements various programs to improve operational efficiency.
There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions. The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, occasional exposure to facilities and field operations.
This is a Department of Public Works & Engineering Emergency Management position at the Tier I Level.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Engineering or a closely related field. A Master's degree may be substituted for two years of experience.
Seven years of progressively more complex/responsible administrative experience are required, with at least three of the years in a supervisory capacity. Additional professional experience related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
A valid Texas Drives License and compliance with the City of Houston's policy of driving (AP2-2).
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in Executive Level Management in building quality performance and capacity within a large diverse workforce; Managing and leading in sanitary sewer reuse and reduction operation strategies, Implementation of operational improvements for customer service, contract management, work order systems, budgets and regulatory compliance. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Preference shall also be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. Will be given to applicants with experience in managing similar size and type of utility.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITIONYes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 32
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm . For application status inquiries please contact832-393-6069.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information. If you need special services or accommodations call TTY 7-1-1.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Back to top