- Houston, TX
Applications accepted from:ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Department: HUMAN RESOURCES
Division: EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Reporting Location:611 Walker
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY - FRIDAY 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The employee that holds this position will perform varied professional administrative functions associated with organizing the development and implementation of several administrative activities of the division. This employee serves as the Citywide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator. The employee also provides assistance, guidance, advice, and training programs on employee relations, labor relations, policies and procedures, ADA, and equal employment opportunity (EEO). The employee in this position works with managers, supervisors, employees, and citizens.
The employee's responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the COH's efforts to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Coordinating the resolution and response to non-employment accessibility and effective communication complaints regarding the COH's programs, services, and activities;
- Disseminating information to department compliance contacts regarding ADA issues;
- Serving as an ex-officio member to the Commission on Disabilities and acting as a liaison between the Commission and the department compliance contacts;
- Providing COH employees with policy and procedure, EEO, ADA, and HOPE Meet and Confer Agreement educational programs;
- Training in New Employee Orientations, New Supervisor Orientations, the City Accreditation Program for Supervisors, and stand-alone classes as a subject matter expert;
- Answering the City's Sexual Harassment hotline;
- Responding to correspondence and requests for information; and
- Assisting in the administration of the City's A.P. 3-34: Reasonable Accommodation Policy for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field.
Five (5) years of administrative experience are required. Professional administrative experience may be substituted for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
A valid Texas Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be given to candidates with extensive knowledge of ADA, EEO, and City policies and procedures; experience in training managers and supervisors in EEO, ADA, policies, and procedures; the ability to research and resolve problems; excellent oral and written communication skills; and experience in reviewing and interpreting policies, procedures, and laws.
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer a skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION YES
This position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE: 24
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov . To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-0486.
All new hires and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call TTY 7-1-1.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Back to top