- Houston, TX
Applications Accepted from: All Persons Interested
Department: Housing and Community Development
Division: Planning and Grants Management
Reporting Location: 601 Sawyer, Houston, TX 77007
Workdays & Hours: 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday
Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston's Department of Housing and Community Development (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD seeks to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. Since Hurricane Harvey, HCDD is managing more than one billion dollars that are dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover.
To achieve this vision, HCDD is seeking an Administrative Assistant to join its team. In this position, you will provide administrative and operational support to the Disaster Recovery division.
- Interprets and implements basic procedures/tasks necessary for day-to-day division operations.
- Drafts correspondence, reports and other documents.
- Proofs/edits documents for accuracy, content and format.
- Compiles information and organizes the retention and retrieval of division documents.
- Coordinates resources as needed to carryout special projects and division priorities.
- Assists the division's administrative coordinator with administrative tasks and research as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Detail Oriented: Brings the highest level of attentiveness to all work
- Motivated: Takes ownership of projects to complete them effectively and efficiently
- Focused: Sets and maintains high personal work standards while demonstrating an attention to detail
- Articulate: Displays excellent written and oral communication skills
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than optimal temperature and air conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS One year of administrative experience is required. Professional administrative experience may be substituted for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Valid driver's license in compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving. (A.P. 2-2)
Preferences will be given to candidates with:
- Prior experience with community engagement/customer relations
- Basic knowledge of disaster recovery or housing industries
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work under time constraints to achieve deliverables
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment relevant to job description.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITIONNo
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 17
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: http://www.www.houstontx.gov
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call 832.393.6090; TTY 7-1-1.
Back to top