Vice President, Principal and Major Gifts
Requisition ID : 7895
Job Title: Vice President, Principal and Major Gifts
The Vice President, Principal and Major Gifts reports to the Senior Vice President, Advancement Operations and Giving Campaigns (SVP) and serves the Office of Philanthropy in developing, socializing, and executing strategies to build a robust pipeline of individual donors and prospects, focused primarily on the Principal ($2.5 - $10 million), Major ($100,000 to $2.5 million) and Special ($5,000 to $100,000) gifts levels. Position will develop and execute annual and multi-year campaigns, and support the transitioning of the current philanthropic model to a greater focus on securing private support from individual donors at the above annual ($5,000+) levels and above. Position will carry a personal portfolio of approximately 25 donors and prospects capable of making high-level major and principal gifts and will serve as a mentor, leader and role model for a team of front line fundraisers and assigned administrative staff. Position is responsible for building out an integrated grateful patient fundraising program that identifies new prospects through various screening and referral services, targets and assigns prospects to appropriate strategies and staff, and conducts coordinated solicitation approaches. Serves as the leadership liaison and key stakeholder with Guest Relations Services to ensure that high-touch service is provided to identified prospects, donors, volunteers, and community VIPs. Overseeing the principal, major and special gifts programs, this position will ensure that a continuum of relationship-building strategies is donor-centered and is highly collaborative within the entire Office of Philanthropy enterprise. Serves as an active participant on various campaign and leadership teams and task forces. Position will work with Senior Vice President and Vice President for Philanthropy and Campaign Strategies to identify funding priorities for clinical and research areas, and create, socialize and execute fundraising strategies to reach financial targets. Drives critical pipeline building activity that results from partnerships within existing program areas, both within and external to the Office of Philanthropy such as planned giving; corporate and industry programs; and various online giving campaign activities. Will support the design, implementation and reinforcement of a leading-industry, metrics-based, moves management process to fully leverage the technology available and align staff performance and incentives with the overall objectives of the department. Position serves as a senior leader of the SVP's team and shares responsibility for cultivating a culture of excellence, collaboration, accountability and efficiency throughout the Office of Philanthropy and moving toward the vision of being known as model of excellence among elite fundraising programs.
Key Responsibilities include:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops annual and multi-year plans, with leading-industry evaluation tools to grow private support activity from the Principal, Major and Special Gifts programs. Integrates these programs within the entire Office of Philanthropy structure to ensure a seamless and exceptional donor experience. Manages program teams (Principal, Major Gifts, Special Gifts) and staff assigned.
- Portfolio management and execution of strategies related to approximately 25 high-level donor (gift capacity at $250,000 and higher) prospects.
- Design, monitor and evaluate a fully-articulated prospective donor pipeline that incorporates faculty referrals, grateful patient identification, other program engagement/referrals and assigns and triages prospects to the appropriate strategy for engagement and solicitation. Works with SVP, VP for Philanthropy and Campaign Initiatives, and interfaces with faculty and clinician leadership.
- Enforce a metrics-based, moves-management model for calling officers that regularly evaluates performance and productivity and is aligned and incented with the overall objectives of the Office of Philanthropy
- Serve as a leadership liaison with the Guest Relations Services team to ensure high-touch service is provided to identified VIPs.
- Leadership responsibilities and representation throughout the Office of Philanthropy and City of Hope.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least 15 years of fundraising or equivalent experience required.
- Experience in managing effective teams, engaging constituencies, and working with volunteers.
- Success in managing a high-level portfolio of high level prospects and donors capable of making six and seven figure gifts. A skilled, experienced and motivational leader and manager with demonstrated ability to successfully supervise and lead varying levels of administrative and professional staff.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring development officers in all aspects of solicitation cycle.
- A seasoned, high-emotional intelligent manager who can flex supervisory style to adjust to various staffing assignments; demonstrated success in using performance metrics to motivate intended behaviors and outcomes.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, customer-service and servant-leadership orientation, and good judgment and be capable of communicating and working with a diverse range of individuals.
- Demonstrated success in working in a complex, matrixed organization is a must.
- Experience with designing and implementing fundraising programs.
- Intellectual familiarity and comfort with using technological and analytical tools for decision-making and forecasting purposes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A results-oriented leader, adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, and executing.
- Strong collaborator, individual contributor, and team player who can develop authentic partnerships within the department and throughout the organization.
- An energetic, creative, dedicated, leads by example' professional who models the values of City of Hope and of the philanthropic industry.
- Passion and intellectual curiosity for the City of Hope mission and its various scientific, clinical and educational platforms
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite
Preferred Education and Skills:
- Master's Degree preferred in a related field.
- Fundraising credentials (CFRE or similar)
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top