Telephone Triage Nurse Manger
Requisition ID: 10563
Job Title: Telephone Triage Nurse Manager
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
Under the Contact Center Director, the Manager of the Nurse Triage plans and implements the overall operational policies, procedures, and services for a phone nurse triage. The manager maintains nursing staff by recruiting, selecting, training and coaching clinical staff in the use of the nursing process and evidence-based practice for telephone triage. Ensures that nurses are current in competencies, assessments, licensure, certifications, and other annual training. The manager will lead the team in enterprise-wide collaborative work efforts to continuously improve patient-centered processes and outcomes for the organization using qualitative and quantitative measures of success. This position provides leadership and management to the nurse triage telephone unit; has accountability for human, fiscal and other resources; and functions as primary resource for nurse triage team members.
- Accomplishes human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning work, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; administering timekeeping system; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Develop a culture of pride and ownership and provide opportunities for learning and growth. Ensures appropriate staffing levels throughout work week, reassess staffing levels to identify and achieves staffing optimization. Monitors and authorizes overtime when necessary. Schedule work assignments to ensure appropriate staffing coverage during regular office when scheduled and unscheduled absences occur. Provides timely decision making and direction to clinical staff to streamline workflow, improve efficiency of operation and eliminate delays; re-assign work as needed.
- Demonstrated clinical expertise in the role of triage nurses with evidence to support professional expertise. Assist triage nurses in day to day operational decisions as applicable to patient care. Assure nurses are current on all licenses, certifications and competency to provide care. Facilitates the orientation and ongoing development and education of nurses. Supervise and lead staff in collaborative relationships within and outside of other departments. Makes staffing decisions to assure all staffing teams provide adequate coverage.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Monitors nurses' productivity and quality by establishing and monitoring thresholds and benchmarks. Provides constructive feedback to nurses and senior leadership.Responsible for implementing quality control audits to monitor the quality of work and provide retraining as required to maintain performance standards.
- In partnership with City of Hope medical leadership and oversight, establishes patient care standards to assure patient care is timely, safe and effective. Responsible for satisfaction of physicians, patients, staff and other customers with care and service. Develop collaborative relationships with other departments to foster safe and high quality patient care as well as meet regulatory requirements including, but not limited to JCAHO and NCI standards. Promote utilization of evidence based practice in the delivery of patient care. Oversee coordination of care to ensure corrective actions related to patient safety occur and controls coordination of care between disciplines.
- Establish and foster excellent customer service practices supporting the daily needs of patients, caregivers, providers and staff. Oversees effective customer service systems, communication and feedback. Serve as the first line of communication and follow through for patients via direct means, telephone, email, and written correspondence. Respond and solve problems, including internal and external complaints.
- Continuously assess and streamline processes, establishing and implementing standard work, maintaining performance boards, monitoring metrics, coordinating meetings and facilitating workgroups. Maintains equipment by evaluating and installing equipment; developing preventive maintenance programs; calling for repairs; evaluating and implementing upgrades.
- Responsible for preparing the annual fiscal budget for related cost centers. Monitors monthly budget and expenses, modifying spending as needed. Ensures expenditures stay within budget and accounts for variances when they occur.
Strategic Planning and Change Management
- Responsible for planning and directing the organization's strategic goals as they relate to patient access. Continuously plans, monitors, and assesses all that is necessary for the organization to meet its goals and objectives. Conducts organizational reviews to identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and to evaluate operational effectiveness.
- Manage change to achieve the required strategic planning outcomes by ensuring initiatives meet objectives on time and on budget. Focus on the people side of change, including changes to business processes, systems and technology, job roles and organization structures. Create and implement change management strategies and plans that maximize employee adoption and usage and minimize resistance.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
Registered Nurse-BSN required .
3-5 years in oncology nursing, 1-2 years supervisory, and 3 years call center operations experience .
Current California RN License
American Heart Association BLS
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top