About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Job Title: Surgical Scheduler
Requisition ID: 10400
Oversees daily operation, schedules patients for surgery, and coordinates operating room schedules of multi-disciplinary, multi-site surgeons. Assists Practice Administrator or Director in managing day to day operations of all medical departments at times.
Key Responsibilities include:
- "Opens" or Closes the surgical department each day, according to office policy.
- Assists Practice Administrator and/orDirector of Practice Management with daily operational duties, if needed, at times when the Director is off premises, such as:Oversees front office staff for all other departments, processes invoices and daily deposits.
- Schedules and completes any active work list items (including: all pre-op orders, laboratory and diagnostic studies) as ordered by the surgeon in the EMR.
- Counsels patients concerning scheduled surgery, financial obligation and gives preoperative instructions.
- Requests authorization and/or pre-certification from health plans prior to scheduled surgery for surgical procedure and hospital days.
- Arranges for assistant surgeon coverage and proctorship coverage as needed.
- Schedules surgeries within established surgical block times with affiliated hospitals as requested by surgeons.
- Enters surgical scheduling information into practice management software.
- Prepares complete surgical packets and scans into electronic medical record.
- Monitors daily copay report for department and assures collection of copays and patient financial responsibility at the time of check in by medical receptionists.
- Assures surgeons' outpatient schedules are on time and communicates with support staff when there is a delay.
- Informs patients in the reception area when surgeons are running behind-offers to reschedule patients.
- Screens visitors. No non patient or family visitor may visit the medical floors without a prescheduled appointment.
- Ensures all faxes are cleared off the machine and distributed throughout the day.
- Ensures patient reception areas are neat and clean at all times throughout the day.
- Ensures incoming reports are scanned to medical records throughout the day.
- Ensures physician requests are monitored throughout the day, via EMR, phone, email or verbal instruction.
- Assists Practice Administrator and/orDirector of Practice Management and/or Director of Clinical Operations with orientation of new employees.
- Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA.
- Assures daily payment batches are prepared and forwarded to corporate finance department.
- Assures all office supply inventory for the department is maintained and ordered when supplies are low.
- Attends all regular staff meetings.
Minimum Education: High school diploma required.
Minimum Experience: Two years work experience in a medical environment. Two years medical office experience: Preferred.
Required Courses/Training: Medical terminology.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top