About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Oversees daily operation, schedules patients for surgery, and coordinates operating room schedules of multi-disciplinary, multi-site surgeons. Assists Practice Administrator or Director in managing day to day operations of all medical departments at times.
Key Responsibilities include:
- "Opens" or Closes the surgical department each day, according to office policy
- Assists Practice Administrator and/or Director of Practice Management with daily operational duties, if needed, at times when the Director is off premises, such as: Oversees front office staff for all other departments, processes invoices and daily deposits
- Schedules and completes any active work list items (including: all pre-op orders, laboratory and diagnostic studies) as ordered by the surgeon in the EMR
- Counsels patients concerning scheduled surgery, financial obligation and gives preoperative instructions
- Requests authorization and/or pre-certification from health plans prior to scheduled surgery for surgical procedure and hospital days
- Arranges for assistant surgeon coverage and proctorship coverage as needed
- Schedules surgeries within established surgical block times with affiliated hospitals as requested by surgeons
- Enters surgical scheduling information into practice management software.
- Prepares complete surgical packets and scans into electronic medical record
- Monitors daily copay report for department and assures collection of copays and patient financial responsibility at the time of check in by medical receptionists.
- Assures surgeons' outpatient schedules are on time and communicates with support staff when there is a delay
- Informs patients in the reception area when surgeons are running behind-offers to reschedule patients.
- Screens visitors. No non patient or family visitor may visit the medical floors without a prescheduled appointment
- Ensures all faxes are cleared off the machine and distributed throughout the day
- Ensures patient reception areas are neat and clean at all times throughout the day
- Ensures incoming reports are scanned to medical records throughout the day.
- Ensures physician requests are monitored throughout the day, via EMR, phone, email or verbal instruction
- Assists Practice Administrator and/or Director of Practice Management and/or Director of Clinical Operations with orientation of new employees
- Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA
- Assures daily payment batches are prepared and forwarded to corporate finance department
- Assures all office supply inventory for the department is maintained and ordered when supplies are low
- Attends all regular staff meetings
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High school diploma required
- Two years of work experience in a medical environment. Two years medical office experience: Preferred
- Medical terminology
- EMR experience preferred
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within multidisciplinary fields of surgery
- Working knowledge of managed care- overall understanding of HMO, HMO Capitation, PPO, POS and third party carriers
- Requires knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT coding
- Computer literate-with keyboard skills
- Professional attitude in dealing with visitors, physicians, company executives/representatives and/or Board Members
- Proven experience handling any conflicts with patients and patients' families
- Pleasant speaking voice and demeanor
- Neat, professional appearance
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to problem solve
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Work is performed in an office setting and involves frequent contact with patients and doctors. Work may be stressful at times. The employee must be comfortable asking patients for money. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive. Contact involves dealing with ill patients.
- Work may require sitting for long periods of time, and also stooping, bending and stretching for files and supplies. Employee will occasionally be asked to lift files or paper weighing up to 30 pounds. Position requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, computer, telephone, calculator, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 and hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts. Position also requires viewing computer screens and typing for long periods of time. Employee may work under stressful conditions and work irregular hours.
- Position will report to the Newport Beach facility
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Gerry G.Clinical Nurse Manager
Gerry supports the nurse practitioners and staff in the Hematology Department’s Blood & Marrow Transplant Division, providing them with the tools they need to help patients prepare for their transplant journey.
Back to top