Supervisor, Core Lab
Requisition ID: 10260
Job Title: Supervisor, Core Lab
Department: Shared Rsc-Pathology-MC
Location: Duarte, CA
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Pathology Core at City of Hope is a Shared Resource that provides investigators and their laboratory teams with access to sophisticated support services and optimally preserved tissue specimens to facilitate ground-breaking research. The incumbent will report to the Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology, under the direct oversight of the Core Director. The primary responsibility of the position will be to supervise the day-to-day operations of the assigned core lab, including all of the staff and processes critical to its function. This individual will be able to perform all of the duties and essential job functions of a Senior Research Associate / Histotechnologist in the core lab. In addition, they will assume other responsibilities as delegated from the Director and Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology including, but not limited to, participation in personnel actions; oversight of supply ordering and inventory activity; troubleshooting test performance and lab operational issues; preparing and participating in laboratory inspections; QA/QC design and implementation; development of new procedures; implementation of computer system applications and conducting new test development and validation in the lab. This individual also acts as a technical resource and trains new staff and validates their competency to work in the lab.
The successful applicant must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, be highly organized, and have the ability to interact with all levels within the organization and with the investigators. The primary focus is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the assigned core lab at City of Hope. The ability to work effectively as part of a team is an important personal quality for the role. All decisions related to the assigned core lab, as part of the overarching Pathology Core, should be aligned to support the long term vision in support of the City of Hope strategic plan.
- Works with the Core Director and Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology to develop laboratory budgets and accurate budget forecasting based on lab usage and demands.In collaboration with the Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology, develop metrics for core lab resource usage and modeling for the laboratory operations and coordinates annual capital equipment requests on behalf of the core lab.
- Oversees, and assists with, the overall process of specimen collection and data entry including preparation and processing of tissue for testing, biobanking, and distribution.Supervises core lab staff to ensure accurate data entry and up-to-date inventory of banked specimens.
- Responsible for preparing the agenda and related materials for core lab staff meetings, including analysis of financial and usage data, lab metrics and compliance issues
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules.Performs data entry of diagnostic information and utilizes standard laboratory equipment, and records and checks results for completeness and accuracy
- Develop policies and procedures for the operation and management of the core lab and tissue bank in collaboration with the Core Director and the Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology.Updates and maintains all policies and procedures and works with staff to ensure compliance with all procedure revisions.Identifies compliance issues for review by the Core Director and the Business Manager, Anatomic Pathology.
- Designs and supervises test validation activities within the core.Manages material, product, and/or process quality control testing, validation, stability, and comparability studies. Executes process and methods development, qualification and validation protocols, and prepares summary reports
- Oversees maintenance of all standard research requirements within the core and coordinates audit survey activities within the core
- Oversees supply ordering and inventory activities for the laboratory.Responsible for review and approval of all expenditures, including supplies, service agreements, lease agreements, and purchase orders.Responsible for the contract review process for external lease and maintenance agreements.
- Acts as the primary technical resource for all laboratory staff for test troubleshooting and evaluation of test performance
- Directly supervises the core lab staff.Responsibilities may include performance evaluation, timecard approval, time-off requests, all human resource-related functions, and provides overall leadership to aid in staff development.Trains new staff in performance of applicable laboratory procedures and policies and evaluates their competency in these procedures and polices as required
- Oversees new test development. This includes supervising others performing test development activities and actually performing the new tests
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service.Under the oversight of the Core Director, coordinates and operationalizes collaborations with other investigators
- Works with other campus departments including Occupational Safety and Health, Purchasing, Accounting, and Sponsored Research to facilitate operations and compliance with internal policies and federal and state regulations.Responsible for developing corrective actions for non-compliance issues.Prepares recommendations for review and approval by the shared resource leadership.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, MT/ASCP, histotechnology or a related discipline. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- Minimum five years of bench/lab experience, collection, processing and storage of tissue specimens consistent with targeted specimen collection of the assigned core lab preferred.
- Preferred Experience:Administrative management experience preferred.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top