Superintendent, Offsite & Projects
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Superintendent, Offsite & Projects is responsible for coordinating installation, maintenance and repair work at various City of Hope (COH) administrative, medical and research sites located in Southern California. Responsibilities also include accountability for the maintenance small project construction effort in accordance with design, budget, quality, and schedule for all COH buildings both on campus and at off-site locations.
Position entails project administration, supervision, and technical leadership to Facilities Maintenance Services (FMS). Develops and advises leadership regarding program(s) that continuously and proactively upgrade or improve facility systems and properties, and supports the planning and execution of those activities. Ensures that safety and comfort conditions are maintained in all facilities.
- Direct day-to-day off-site supervision of labor force including mechanics, internal trades, assistants, foremen, subcontractors and other maintenance or construction related personnel at off-site medical and research locations. Interface with off-site leadership to ensure quality standards are being achieved in support of clinic and research goals.
- Assist Facilities Development and Construction (FD&C) Project Manager in the supervision and responsibility of the total small project construction effort in accordance with design, budget, quality, and schedule in all COH sites These projects are linked to the success of large construction initiatives being completed on schedule and will require the Superintendent of Off-sites and Projects to work closes with impacted customers and the Development and Construction team.
- Coordinate with COH Corporate Real Estate all off-site maintenance and project activities while interacting with off-site leadership and city building departments in develop schedules and transition plans which minimize impact to ongoing site operations. This may require night and weekend commitments. Where applicable, Superintendent will be require to ensure Joint Commission/Fire Life Safety readiness at off-site locations and is responsible for all Preventive Maintenance activities associated with compliance to government regulatory requirements.
- Assist with providing technical assistance (interpretation of drawings, recommendation of construction methods and equipment, etc.) as required, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection. Responsible for submittal of all required building permits.
- Inspection of Contractor or (Sub) Contract operations to ensure compliance with COH requirements.
- Review and approve Trade Contractor Payment Applications with FD&C Project Manager.
- Maintain good relationships with internal and external clients, including representatives of Owner, Architect/Engineer and Partners.
- Develop and maintain site logistics plan, in coordination with FD&C Project Manager, ESS Director, Corporate Real Estate leadership and operations.
- Development of Quality Assurance & Controls; Conduct quality inspections.
- Coordinate site testing and inspection efforts as required.
- Monitor costs, including labor time and material of staff and vendors.
- Communicate and enforce Safety and Health Management Program-Demonstrate commitment to an Injury-Free Environment through own actions and mentoring others.
- Manage schedules, including preparation of detailed short-term schedules and ensuring all activities take place on or ahead of scheduled dates.
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst the team including subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments. Coordinate activates with off-site executives, researches and doctors in developing schedules and shutdowns that minimize impact to off-site operations.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Provide the appropriate resources and leadership to ensure the continued safe operation and maintenance of all facilities.
- Participates in strategic planning for facilities and equipment, including maintenance and repair programs. Make recommendations regarding deficiencies or improvements for inclusion in operating and capital budgets.
- Develops project scope, schedule and budgetary estimates.
- Monitors workloads and allocates resources to meet project requirements within established budgets. Keeps management team abreast of status and communicates important changes in a timely manner.
- Develop and administer contracts for projects. Review proposals/bids and prepare summary reports as required for decision support.
- Supervise internal staff and oversee contractors, including contractor performance, adherence to work order/project scope and quality of work.
- Perform quality assurance inspections to ensure work and/or project specifications are met. Verify/approve service reports and contractor invoices.
- Utilize facilities management system and project software to identify, schedule, track, and generally document service and project activities.
- Ensure that expenditures are correctly assigned to the appropriate accounts; and ensure that appropriate documentation is retained in order to support an audit of departmental expenditures and project activities.
- Ensure adequate coverage and scheduling to fill 24-hour/day, 7-day/week requirement for maintenance personnel.
- Ensure that service and project activities remain in compliance with relevant regulatory and accreditation agencies.Maintain documentation and information as required to demonstrate compliance with JCAHO, SCAQMD, EPA, LA County Fire, and other agencies upon request..
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
- This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this.
- Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
- Exposure to blood borne pathogens that requires use of personal protective equipment.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
The position directly supervises:
The position indirectly supervises:
- BA/BS in Business, Engineering, Technology or Construction related degree.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- 5 years of project management experience, preferably in construction/facilities.
- At least two years of experience at the Supervisor level, or higher.
Six Sigma White Belt
- Project Management Professional (PMP). Current CA driver's license and a good driving record for insurance purposes
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree
- Engineering and management courses
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Relevant experience in operations and facilities maintenance of electrical, plumbing, HVAC and/or boiler & chillers
- Ability to plan and execute projects and service activities.
- Display tact/courtesy in dealing with employees, customers, contractors, and agencies under a variety of situations.
- Must exhibit clear written and oral communication, excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Capable of working independently, requiring little direction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Language Skills:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Compose letters/memorandums
- Coordinate meetings/requests
- Proofread documents
- Input data into computer programs
- Interview others
- Delegate tasks
- Document Activities
- Maintain staffing levels
- Compile data
- Prepare reports
- Instruct/train others
- Monitor productivity and staffing
- Troubleshoot problems
- Analyze data
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Project, CMMS.
- Personal computer, electronic mobile devices
- Engineering/construction equipment/tools
- Electric cart
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Frequent pressure due to multiple, simultaneous assignments.
- Atmosphere and environment associated with office, laboratory, and patient care setting
- Subject to temperature changes due to various work environments
- Subject to many interruptions
- Exposed to material of a confidential
- Frequent pressure due to multiple, simultaneous assignments. Occasionally covers varied shifts, weekends and holidays
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top