Strategic Sourcing Manager
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
An Individual Contributor who manages strategic sourcing initiatives, vendor relationships, and value analysis. The candidate will work with vendors, distributors and Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO) to establish and negotiate contracts to ensure the COH receives the best value it is able to attain. The position will work with others in the department to ensure that systems and processes are enabling COH to receive the pricing on supplies and services that it has negotiated. Must be able to lead RFIs and RFP’s efforts, reviewing proposals and negotiating with multiple vendors. The candidate will be responsible for communicating project status to all appropriate stakeholders and reporting on various success metrics to measure the success of the action items and decisions reached throughout the project management lifecycle. Though the position has no direct reports, it will require many of the same skills to be effective.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute strategic sourcing plans. Gather information for internal data discovery, scope and specification development, market due diligence, and perform alternative source development RFI’s and RFP’s.
- Must have three (3) years or more experience in creating and managing complex multifaceted RFP’s using Best-in-Class business practices.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in understanding Terms & Conditions and their impact to the contract.
- Analyzes spend and processes for assigned categories and develops sourcing strategies to reduce total cost of ownership.
- Establish negotiation plans with clearly defined desired outcomes and strategic goals.
- Negotiate agreements with manufacturers, distributors, and service providers, either singly or as part of a team, to complete supplier agreements.
- Measure supplier performance against key business objectives. Participate in formal supplier business reviews as part of the overall Supplier Relations Management process, including but not limited to supplier evaluation, supplier audits and other related activities.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement through cost reduction and performance improvement, involving suppliers as required.
- Manage and achieve savings targets.
- Proactively seek new opportunities and/or to optimize current agreements to drive efficiency and cost savings
- Facilitate Value Added Committees (VAC’s) on behalf of the Team. Research potential vendors for supplies and services needed by COH
- Assist management with selection processes requiring request for information and/or request for proposals. Including identifying vendors, developing response review criteria, facilitating the review process and negotiations with multiple vendors
- Assist in identifying needs for process improvement and innovation across sourcing, contracting, and analytics; assist in developing a standard of metrics using benchmark data to assist in measuring department’s performance against goals and industry best practices.
- This position reports to the Senior Manager of Strategic Sourcing and is responsible for building relationships with physicians, teams and counterpart groups in all areas, or representing all business units for the selection of appropriate products and services
Knowledge / Abilities / Skills:
- Developed Emotional Intelligence.
- Able to lead, influence and build consensus with stakeholders across multiple levels to secure needed results.
- Adaptable, flexible, persuasive, proactive, encouraging, and motivating.
- Logical mindset to analyze work assignments and proactively resolve problems
- Must be detail oriented, highly organized, and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Can work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative fluid environment.
- Strong Sourcing Analytical Skills and Tools is a must
- Proficiency with Excel and Power Point
- Experienced Contract Development & Management, Supplier Relationship Management, and Negotiation Techniques
- Experience with Procurement related ERP system (such as PeopleSoft) is a plus
- Ability to run sourcing projects focused on the acquisition of goods and services, negotiate pricing and related business terms from concept to contract.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS) in Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering or another related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of three (3) years of extensive Sourcing and Contracts Experience.
- Hospital or Research Industry experience is a bonus, but not required.
Back to top