Staff Scientist - Precision Oncology of Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
A Staff Scientist position is available in Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope. The Staff Scientist series is designed as a step towards faculty transition for highly accomplished and driven research professionals whose primary function is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the institution. Staff Scientists will bring special skills, knowledge and supervisory experience to research programs or institutional core laboratories. Individuals appointed as staff scientists will receive a one-year fixed-term contract.
We are seeking multiple Staff Scientists to become a part of the multidisciplinary research team headed by Dr. Ajay Goel, Professor and Chair, Department of Molecular Diagnostics and Experimental Therapeutics. Our research group comprises of basic biologists, gastroenterologists, surgeons, medical oncologists and bioinformaticians, undertaking a number of collaborative projects involving large international consortia. Our research is focused on translational research as it relates to genomic and epigenomic characterization of various gastrointestinal cancers (GI) including colorectal, pancreatic and gastric cancers, and some of the key research topics include:
- Devise, plan, document and advance basic science and translational projects in the relevant research area.
- Generate data for grant applications and prepare manuscripts for publication.
- Work in close collaboration with other team members and external collaborators, including presentation of progress internally or externally.
- Train and supervise post-doctoral fellows and technical staff.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- PhD and/or MD/PhD
- Evidence of first or senior author peer-reviewed publications
- Prior molecular, cancer biology and/or translational research experience and evidence of project development and supervision of post-doctoral fellows and technical staff
- Prior evidence for any obtaining any grant funding and plans for seeking extramural grant funding within 1-3 years of joining
- You will have the unique possibility to drive research towards a novel cancer diagnostics and therapy at the interface of science and translation to the clinic and publish high-i mpact journals. City of Hope offers a competitive salary, along with institutional medical insurance and other benefits, including generous institution sponsored retirement benefits for this position.
- This position allows a Staff Scientist to submit grants to various private and federal organizations.
- Please submit your current CV/resume along with a cover letter highlighting your research accomplishments, a brief statement explaining how your past research ties in with the goals of our laboratory, and future career plans.
- For more information about the groundbreaking research taking place in the Ajay Goel, Ph.D lab, please visit www.cityofhope.org/mdet .
Back to top