The Department of Systems Biology invites applications from qualified individuals to fill a position as Staff Scientist for the Department. This position will supervise the operations of all shared equipment and shared facilities in the Department of Systems Biology including cold rooms, tissue culture, procedure rooms, centrifuges, retro- and lentivirus production and shared computer and file server equipment. In addition, the incumbent will oversee all laboratory operations in the Müschen Laboratory, develop and implement standard operation procedures of the laboratory as well as quality control procedures.
The incumbent reports to the Chair of the Department of Systems Biology and in addition will work as the laboratory and operations manager of the Müschen laboratory. Strong interpersonal skills are applied in interacting with department and Müschen laboratory staff, as well as committees and administration. All decisions related to the Müschen laboratory operations should be aligned to support the long term vision in support of the City of Hope strategic plan.
Work activities in the Müschen laboratory will include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervising experimental procedures, oversees and manage the day-to-day operations of the laboratory, including budget and supply management;
- Planning, implementing and maintaining the overall laboratory policies, protocols and procedures;
- Mentor and develop staff: perform, train and assist technician and staff in multicolor flow cytometry, animal related research (housing, monitoring, breeding, injecting, treating, bio imaging and surgeries), BSL2+ level virus production and transfection, general microbiological technics (vector cloning and development, qPCR, ddPCR, WB etc.) and cell culture technics;
- Performing research on human and animal tissue, including harvesting and processing of primary human and animal cells and organs;
- Xenograft core management including performing and training other staff members in different engraftment methods, animal surgeries, intravenous and intra femoral injection, primary cell culture and cell verification technics.
- Managing and implementing quality controls of 50+ cell lines and primary cells (mouse and human) of centralized laboratory cell culture.;
- Maintaining and troubleshoot equipment, if needed also along with outside vendors;
- Coordinating and organizing material exchange between the Müschen Laboratory and outside laboratories and vendors;
- Organization and maintenance of data storage and analytical bioinformatics servers (LINUX and Windows) as well as laboratory internal data infrastructure and software training for staff.
- Implementing and development of new technics and procedures relevant for research of the laboratory
The successful applicant’s primary focus is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the MÜSCHEN laboratory, Center for Gene Therapy in the Department of Hematologic Malignancies and Stem Cell Transplantation at City of Hope. The ability to work effectively as part of a team is an important personal quality for the role. The position will report to Dr. Markus Müschen. The position directly supervises the MÜSCHEN laboratory staff.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, MT/ASCP or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 12+ years of hands-on industry or academia experience with human cell and/or tissue-based products, tissue processing, antibody-based cell separation technology, primary cell culture, aseptic technique, closed system cell processing technology, and automated cell processing platforms.
- 2-3 years of experience at a managerial level.
- Understanding of lean and six sigma principles preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to work in a team environment is essential.
- Solid understanding of business fundamentals, excellent written, communication, and interpersonal skills are paramount to success in this position. Ability to foster open and forthright discussion at all levels.
- Ability to take an overall and strategic view of situations, including their operational, political, ethical, financial, and human aspects is a must.
- Strong leadership, skills, and budgeting experience are necessary to ensure ongoing viability of shared resources.
- Must be able to work through quality issues constructively and in a timely manner.
- Passion for applying new processes, tools, and technology in a way that measurably improves business performance.
- Strong analytical skills with experience in presenting business cases/ROI and presenting data effectively.
- Operation and maintenance of general cell processing equipment is required.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top