The Business Intelligence Developer is responsible for the development and support of the Business Intelligence and Analytics platforms including but not limited to data warehouse, data visualizations and interactive dashboards/reports. The position is also responsible for applying business intelligence and analytics subject matter expertise in data modeling, data discovery, business intelligence development and The Business Intelligence Developer utilizes business/healthcare acumen to provide the departments with the tools and data representations that leverage data and meet business and strategic goals…
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Ability to develop analytical business models, reports, dashboard, and queries using enterprise Business Intelligence (BI) tools (e.g. SAP Business Objects Dashboards, Tableau, COGNOS) to support strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience translating analytic data and insights into actionable recommendations for the business.
- Demonstrated expert level analytical ability and skills to understand data from across the enterprise, such as strategic, financial, quality, market, and clinical data.
- Demonstrated experience using data for decision making.
- Proven track-record of delivery of BI solutions in complex organizations; healthcare experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with logical and Symantec data layers, cubes, and leveraging them in an enterprise business intelligence platform.
- Strong understanding of Date Warehouse concepts needed to implement BI solutions.
- Required experience in developing data warehouse and business intelligence applications including data design, database architecture, metadata and repository creation.
- Experience with large data warehouse implementations, and using Star/Snowflake Schema Dimensional data modeling techniques including Kimball and Inmon.
Working experience in transformation architecture, data profiling and cleansing tools, as well as general database technology concepts, and data analysis capabilities.
- Ability to troubleshoot and fine tune existing data warehouse applications.
- Assists in creating new or enhanced components of the business intelligence and analytics platform.
- Expert knowledge of query and reporting tools (e.g. PL/SQL, T-SQL, BO WEBI, Crystal Reports)
- Ability to synthesize large, complex data and relate it in financial/business, clinical and research terms.
- Working knowledge and understanding of advanced analytics, statistical tools, and business operations to collaborate with internal customers and optimize results.
- Experience monitoring key performance indicators and analyze causes of unexpected variance.
- Ability to communicate findings, decisions and recommendations to leadership within the Analytics Team and across Business.
- Assists in the development, maintenance, and support of an enterprise business intelligence and analytics platform and corresponding data-marts/data-stores.
- Demonstrated experience leading issue identification, investigation, ownership, communication and resolution process.
- Possess strong leadership skills and a proven track record for managing large and complex initiatives and delivering positive results.
- Proven ability to build and contribute to teams that are exceptionally customer-oriented, deliver business value and are well respected within the organization.
- Provide strong thought leadership with the ability to create a vision and link the IT strategy with the company’s business strategy.
- Ability to maintain detailed project plans that include milestones, tasks, and target/actual dates of completion.
- Ability to translate and organize goals/objectives into actionable plans, projects and committed time frames, and then manage the effort, communicate status and mitigate risks and issues.
- Knowledge of project and system development methodologies (e.g. Waterfall, Agile) and the demonstrated ability to apply and adopt methodologies to align with project needs and drivers.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective risk planning and mitigation.
- Ability to create technical and business documentation including white papers, knowledgebase articles, system diagrams, workflow diagrams, and presentations.
- Ability to accurately scope, define and estimate work effort and resource plans for assigned projects.
- Experience with workflow analysis and process redesign to improve efficiency and performance.
- Demonstrated experience managing (scope, forecast, and monitor) budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to develop metrics and reporting frameworks to measure efficiency and effectiveness, facilitate appropriate resource allocation, and increase the maturity of programs.
Preferred Skills and Experience
Ability to adapt to changing working conditions and work assignments, to be open, and motivated to learn and adapt new ideas and concepts, and to work independently or as part of the team to work on multiple tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and provide deliverables within fixed timelines and under pressure, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Capable of clear and sound reasoning, with a demonstrated ability to use good senses, and sound judgement in practical matters.
- Understanding of systems analysis, systems architecture, and systems engineering principals such as TOGAF – The Open Group Architectural Framework, Zachman/Taxonomy, Federal Enterprise architecture, or Gartner Methodology.
- Working knowledge of the principals of Systems/Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Demonstrated experience with fundamentals, principals, and processes related to change control for information systems.
- Knowledge of testing fundamentals, the creation of test plans, and processes to ensure the identification, tracking, and remediation of bugs, errors, and defects.
- Experience supporting software and hardware for business use, analyzing problems and assisting customers with issue resolution, and exercising best practices to monitor and conduct preventive and routine maintenance on business systems.
- Understanding of IT infrastructure components including desktop/server-class hardware, software, network and telephony.
- Demonstrated understanding of information system security fundamentals and principals, including security protocols, encryption and access management to ensure adherence to regulatory/compliance requirements.
- Working knowledge of basic analytics/statistical principles, and the ability to synthesize complex information into an easy to understand manner.
- Knowledge of business workflow and associated terminologies, and the ability to document them with industry standard tools such as Visio or PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with customers and vendors to analyze problems, determine appropriate courses of action, and identify root causes and resolutions.
Possess outstanding communication (written and verbal), listening and interpersonal skills; and be able to quickly establish credibility and rapport with a broad set of executives and constituencies.
- Proven track record of collaboration and relationship building across diverse teams in a heterogeneous environment.
- Ability to develop and enhance partnership with customers, take ownership of issues, and assist customers in navigating ITS using “warm handoffs” and other related techniques.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations, and to communicate (written and verbal) complex technical content to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work with customers to conduct detailed requirements gathering and analyze information to translate customer objectives into a detailed technical implementation plan.
- Experience mentoring, coaching and training of staff, and creating personal development plans.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Bachelors degree or 6 yrs. related current experience
Healthcare experience 4-7 years preferred
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability
Back to top