Sr Prin. Database Administrator - MS SQL DBA
- United States
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
This is a Remote Position
The Senior Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for 24/7 administration of all database systems in the enterprise. The position manages backup and recovery, security, performance tuning and optimization across multiple database management systems. The position assists with architectural design and implementation of new databases as well as upgrades and improvement to existing databases. The DBA troubleshoots and resolves database related issues, participates in the design and implementation of database environments to meet the needs of the organization. The position works closely with Application Analysts, System Administrators, and others to ensure database integrity and availability. The DBA implements and monitors replication, data movement and integration across the organization.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Demonstrated experience administrating databases in a 24/7 large-scale enterprise environment using database management systems (DBMS) such as MS SQL, Oracle, and Cache.
- Ability to backup, recover, and restore databases.
- Experience managing and implementing database security
- Experience manage enterprise RDBMs across multiple platforms and environments such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and Sybase running on Microsoft Windows, Linux, or UNIX.
- Experience conducting database maintenance, performance tuning and optimization such as tuning SQL principles and methods.
- Expert knowledge of database architecture, design principals and procedures
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolving database related issues
- Successful track record of installing, configuring, and applying updates to RDBMs
- Ability to architect database environments to meet the needs of the organization
- Ability to enact and promoting process improvement related to database management, maintenance and support.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with both application analysts, developers, and system administrators to ensure database integrity and availability
- Expert knowledge related to implementing and monitoring data replication between heterogeneous platforms.
- Demonstrated experience moving and integrating data between and across heterogeneous database systems.
- Possess strong leadership skills and a proven track record for managing large and complex initiatives and delivering positive results.
- Proven ability to build and contribute to teams that are exceptionally customer-oriented, deliver business value and are well respected within the organization.
- Provide strong thought leadership with the ability to create a vision and link the IT strategy with the company's business strategy.
- Ability to maintain detailed project plans that include milestones, tasks, and target/actual dates of completion.
- Ability to translate and organize goals/objectives into actionable plans, projects and committed time frames, and then manage the effort, communicate status and mitigate risks and issues.
- Knowledge of project and system development methodologies (e.g. Waterfall, Agile) and the demonstrated ability to apply and adopt methodologies to align with project needs and drivers.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective risk planning and mitigation.
- Ability to create technical and business documentation including white papers, knowledgebase articles, system diagrams, workflow diagrams, and presentations.
- Ability to accurately scope, define and estimate work effort and resource plans for assigned projects.
- Experience with workflow analysis and process redesign to improve efficiency and performance.
- Demonstrated experience managing (scope, forecast, and monitor) budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to develop metrics and reporting frameworks to measure efficiency and effectiveness, facilitate appropriate resource allocation, and increase the maturity of programs.
- Possess outstanding communication (written and verbal), listening and interpersonal skills; and be able to quickly establish credibility and rapport with a broad set of executives and constituencies.
- Ability to collaborate and build relationships across diverse teams in a heterogeneous environment.
- Ability to develop and enhance partnership with customers, take ownership of issues, and assist customers in navigating ITS using "warm handoffs" and other related techniques.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2 to 3 years of managerial experience
- 10 to 15 years of technical experience
- 1 to 2 years of healthcare experience
- Certification in any Relational database engine/platform
- Ability to adapt to changing working conditions and work assignments, to be open, and motivated to learn and adapt new ideas and concepts, and to work independently or as part of the team to work on multiple tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and provide deliverables within fixed timelines and under pressure, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Capable of clear and sound reasoning, with a demonstrated ability to use good senses, and sound judgement in practical matters.
- Understanding of systems analysis, systems architecture, and systems engineering principals such as TOGAF - The Open Group Architectural Framework, Zachman/Taxonomy, Federal Enterprise architecture, or Gartner Methodology.
- Working knowledge of the principals of Systems/Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Demonstrated experience with fundamentals, principals, and processes related to change control for information systems.
- Knowledge of testing fundamentals, the creation of test plans, and processes to ensure the identification, tracking, and remediation of bugs, errors, and defects.
- Experience supporting software and hardware for business use, analyzing problems and assisting customers with issue resolution, and exercising best practices to monitor and conduct preventive and routine maintenance on business systems.
- Understanding of IT infrastructure components including desktop/server-class hardware, software, network and telephony.
- Understanding of information system security fundamentals and principals, including security protocols, encryption and access management to ensure adherence to regulatory/compliance requirements.
- Working knowledge of basic analytics/statistical principles, and the ability to synthesize complex information into an easy to understand manner.
- Knowledge of business workflow and associated terminologies, and the ability to document them with industry standard tools such as Visio or PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with customers and vendors to analyze problems, determine appropriate courses of action, and identify root causes and resolutions.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top