Sr Manager, Content Management
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Senior Manager, Content Management oversees editorial content production across multiple platforms and formats to drive audience engagement, patient volume, donor support, physician referrals and retention/loyalty. This individual has an integrated marketing and content marketing mindset and serves as a resident expert in all things related to content planning, creation, editing and dissemination, as well as channel optimization. The senior manager uses a variety of digital and print media tools, channels and platforms to promote information and content and to maximize engagement with audiences. Other responsibilities include creation and maintenance of the City of Hope content calendar, a content library, a database of facts and messaging and, ultimately, support of the development of a digital asset management system. The position is also responsible for coordinating and helping to oversee City of Hopeâ€™s considerable slate of publications, including magazines, annual reports, blogs, emails, social channels. The senior manager will work with members of the Digital team, as well as stakeholders across the organization, to develop and maintain content for the City of Hope website.
The position collaborates with departments throughout the institution to identify and generate relevant, timely and accurate content. The senior manager works collaboratively within the integrated Marketing & Communications team to support adaptation of content for marketing channels and to enable content marketing effectiveness.
The primary role of senior manager is to be proactive and think strategically in leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to engage audiences and build understanding of the impact of City of Hope in saving lives. This work involves developing a liaison function that connects Marketing & Communications, philanthropy, Beckman Research Institute, the Medical Foundation and National Medical Center to enable enhanced planning and measurement of impact for initiatives of the team.
- Develops content around themes/topics informed by goals of internal stakeholders â€ marketing, government affairs, payor relations, philanthropy, etc. -- to create and deepen engagement with institutionâ€™s key audiences, such as potential patients, referring physicians, research collaborators, donors and internal. Works with writers and content team to conceptualize, assign, edit and otherwise refine content to maximize impact and engagement+
- Develops and executes content strategy and process to support Marketing & Communications goals by formalizing a content hub system and building the processes necessary for effective dissemination of impactful, engaging content. Creates and enforces standards, systems and best practices (both human and technology) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies. Works with technical team to develop compelling multimedia executions.
- Writes and edits content as needed. Leads network of in-house writers, freelancers and outside agency services.
- Develops and maintains a content calendar, reflecting marketing and communications functions to reach respective audiences. Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person. Develops and maintains library of facts, statistics, messaging and news about City of Hope, ensuring that all information is up-to-date, correct and adequately sourced. Conducts ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gathering data and handle analytics (and/or supervise those who do) and make recommendations based on those results. Working with owners of particular content to revise and measure particular content and marketing goals.
- Demonstrates expertise with digital communications and applies best practices.
- Ensures effective flow of information and feedback to sustain high quality of content across varied channels
- Keeps all content projects on deadline; ensures accuracy and timeliness of content.
- Works with other teams within City of Hope including digital marketing, clinical marketing and Creative solutions to execute projects.
- Provides input into content strategy and content creation for social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
- Manage content related projects to budget and timelines developed in partnership with director, communications. Coordinates the documentation and guides the completion of project plans for key collaborative projects.
- Tracks, measures and recommends optimization of content based on analytics; interpret relevant social media metrics while continually finding ways to improve on metrics through testing and new initiatives
- Develops creative ways to repurpose current content in new formats (infographics, videos, survey reports, etc.).
- Ensures that all communication vehicles contain appropriate messages and support City of Hopeâ€™s brand positioning.
- Manages and monitors budgets for assigned projects.
- Personally models the highest standards of collaboration.
- Contributes a consistently positive attitude and communicates effectively with all levels of staff. Fosters the development of teamwork.
- B.A. / B.S. in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 6-8 years of communications and content management experience, including 2-3 years in a supervisory/managerial capacity. Experience in designing, implementing, reporting and analyzing content communication strategies.
- All communications disciplines, including writing, editing, messaging and positioning.
- Experience developing strategies and content for social.
- Experience in designing, implementing, reporting and analyzing content communication strategies
- Superior oral and written communication, organizational and presentation skills.
- Skilled writer, capable of news and feature writing.
- Display tact and courtesy to others.
- Adherence to AP style.
- Ability to work collaboratively with writers.
- Problem-solving, analyzing data andtroubleshooting.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Coordinate projects.
- Instruct/train others.
- Monitor productivity.
- Prepare reports.
- Research information.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Oracle Content Marketing.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top