Software Developer, Senior Research
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Sr. Software Developer develops and supports state-of-the-art applications for clinical and translational research. Authoring of highly scalable, and extensible software applications is a must. Having worked, designed and built enterprise level applications in a software engineering environment is highly desirable.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develops new or existing informatics software solutions as assigned by supervisor
- Participates in software solution design
- Create Unit and Regression tests as needed
- Participate in project and sprint planning and daily scrum meetings as instructed by supervisor and project manager
- Closely collaborate with other team members including business sponsor, project manager, business analysts, test engineers, database developers etc.
- Attends meetings as required and participate on committees as directed.
- Assists other department staff members as necessary.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope employees.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree with substantial experience will be considered.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- 5 years of experience in HTML, SQL and structured computer languages such as Java, C/C++, C#,etc. with a Bachelor's degree.
- Three to five years experience required -- with a Master's degree.
- Experience with relational databases and object-relational mapping required.
- 5+ years of Java and related technology stack using Hibernate, NodeJS, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Angular, a must; this may include experience while in school.
- 5-7 years of experience building large scale enterprise level software platforms in an Agile environment.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field of study required.
- Experience with Scientific or Clinical Research software development is very highly desirable
- Experience with unit testing and continuous integration desired
- Experience with Oracle Siebel Platform desired
- Solid understanding of object-oriented concepts
- Web Services, basic knowledge of SOA. WCF/OData a plus.
- Good backend architecture/design skills
- Familiarity with ASP.NET stack webforms, MVC
- Knowledge of Application servers IIS, JBoss, Tomcat, Glassfish
- Knowledge of Linux, Windows server administration desired
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with both local and remote team members
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Display tact/consideration in dealing with City of Hope employees
- Document activities and programs
- Instruct/train others
- Troubleshoot problems
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Gerry G.Clinical Nurse Manager
Gerry supports the nurse practitioners and staff in the Hematology Department’s Blood & Marrow Transplant Division, providing them with the tools they need to help patients prepare for their transplant journey.
Back to top