Senior Systems Engineer - VCE and Vblock Solutions
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer VCE and Vblock Solutions
Job Requisition: 10784
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, testing, evaluation, implementation and support of various platforms (hardware, operating systems, software and system tools)
- Ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of various computer network, Internet and database systems that support core Epic hosting functions
- Provides consultation and direct technical support in life cycle planning, problem management, integration, systems programming and in delivering IT infrastructure initiatives
- Implements system releases, upgrades and/or changes into the environment
- Ensures platform performance and availability solutions meet business requirements through monitoring, timely service restoration and tuning
- Duties may include capacity planning, workload modeling, system maintenance/administration and diagnostics
- Experienced Converged Solutions Administrator
- Hands on experience designing and configuring VCE VBlock and related converged solutions
- Must have specific hardware and software skills to support UCS, VBLOCK and/or VSPEX
- Ability to troubleshoot and analyze performance in virtual environments (VMware)
- Must have experience with the various tools to provision, reclaim and analyze UCS related components
- Experience with performance management and remediation
- Primary role revolves around converged solutions administration activities with some design and architecture activities
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to engage with peers, clients, leadership teams and vendors
- Responsible for deployment and operation of UCS, VCE, VSPEX, VBLOCK, VMAX, ExtremeIO, Isilon and data protection solutions
- Deploy, configure, monitor and manage virtual machines
- Configuration review of existing architectures and designs
- Create SAN Zoning and masking as appropriate
- Create Boot LUNs from Storage platform
- Configure ESXI Cluster based on design and architecture plan. This includes Nk1v or distributed switch implementation
- Provision Datastore LUN's as appropriate
- Validate multi-pathing settings are set appropriately based on storage platform
- Validate configuration and cross reference/review various technology stacks to ensure proper configuration documentation and procedure development and maintenance
- Implement, design and maintain information systems infrastructure and related enterprise technologies
- Coordinate with network operations personnel and other business units on large-scale project management initiatives
- Proven experience performing server systems design, implementation and administration
- Must be able to analyze system kernel and able to provide root cause analysis for complex problems
- Defines, designs and architects systems communications and solutions
- Must have wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Responsible for handling the most complex systems and resolving the most complex problems
- Architects and Implements HA and DR strategy for virtual and physical systems
- May act as technical project leader or provide work leadership to lower level employees
- Works independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations.
- Progression to this level is typically restricted on the bases of business requirement
- Proven experience with server class hardware from major OEM Vendors (Dell, IBM, HP, Oracle etc.)
- Monitors data traffic and controls system resources and performance to ensure high quality of application service
- Interprets internal or external business issues and recommends solutions/best practices
- Actively participates or may lead in analyzing data and developing recommendations and action plans
- Leads and provides technical leadership to projects
- Solves complex problems; takes a broad perspective to identify solutions
- Ability to implement solutions utilizing Enterprise technologies
- Ability to effectively multi-task and successfully manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills in order to evaluate situations make recommendations and take prompt, effective corrective action.
- Participate in on-call rotation support for customer impacting issues that occur on evenings and weekends.
- Must have excellent written and communication skills
- Other duties as assigned and as technology needs evolves
Minimum Requirement - Education:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience defined as an amount equal to Minimum Experience in addition to the Minimum Experience.
Minimum Requirement - Experience:
- 5-8 years systems engineering experience; 2 + years of experience with vBlock or similar
- Significant enterprise experience with Red Hat Linux, Windows, VMWare ESX is required
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-DA1 | *CB-DA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top