Senior Systems Engineer
Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, configuration, maintenance and administration for organizational Windows NT, 2000, 2003 Servers, Exchange, Active Directory (AD) and SAN and NAS storage environments. Responsible for Virtualizing servers in VM ware and other virtual platforms. Responsible for ensuring the highest level of performance tuning. Determines monitoring and system performance standards and recommends enhancements and upgrades. Independently responsible for leading technical projects. Diagnose and troubleshoot Local Area Network hardware and software problems.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Install, maintain, upgrade and administer organizational Windows NT, 2000, 2003, and Exchange servers. Recommends configurations of such servers.
- Acts as the technical lead for the Local Area Network administrators, providing guidance in the design and implementation and maintenance of Exchange and AD environments as well as other area of the ITS server and storage infrastructure.
- Acts as the technical lead for assigned LAN Administrator projects.
- Recommend servers that are candidates for virtualization for VM Ware or other Virtual environment.
- Perform user account administration on Active Directory and Exchange.
- Perform print queue administration and troubleshoot server printing problems.
- Assist the Data Security Administrator in maintaining security on servers and AD, including security patches, hardening, and AD Global Policies.
- Provide technical assistance to PC support and Installation Technicians and application analysts on networking hardware/software configuration, and printing issues.
- Responsible for the management of the SAN and NAS infrastructure. Recommends enhancements to the COH storage environment. Validates and maintains backup procedures.
- Provides recommendations to the Director, Technical Support Services as to necessary performance and productivity enhancements related to system use and services.
- Responsible for Storage Switch environment, preferable Brocade. Provisioning servers to brocade switches, NAS and or SAN storage.
- Provide technical assistance to vendors in identifying and troubleshooting server problems.
- Responsible for documenting organization’s server environment.
- Recommends appropriate tools for improved monitoring and administration of the Server, Exchange and AD environments.
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology and issues dealing with organizational server(s) and environment.
- Assist the project managers in the ITS department in whichever project(s) he/she needs assistance with, upon a directive from the server administration manager and/or the technical services director.
- Each system administrator will be on-call 24/7 on a scheduled and sometimes unscheduled basis. The primary system administrator (PSA) on-call will need to be ready to assist users, vendors and or ITS personnel whenever he/she is called or paged. The Primary on-call system administrator will perform the daily duties of the Primary System Administrator documented in the policies and procedures documentation
- Each system administrator will be on-call 24/7 on a scheduled and sometimes unscheduled basis to assist the primary system administrator on-call; the backup system administrator (BSA) on-call will be assisting the primary system administrator on a needed basis. The BSA must assume the responsibility of the PSA, if he/she is not available or unable to perform his/her duties. The BSA might be needed to assist users, vendors and or ITS personnel whenever he/she is called or paged.
- Will install and maintain the Blackberry environment including client installs, troubleshooting, and maintaining the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) environment.
- Rack and un-rack servers in the organization’s data center.
- Maintain a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope employees.
- Responsible to work on and process helpdesk, RFS, and AccessNet tickets. The system administrator must meet all departmental requirements pertaining to helpdesk, RFS, and AccessNet tickets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- Five or more years of progressive experience in administrating Local Area Networks in a heterogeneous Multi-vendor networked environment that includes Exchange, Active Directory, Windows NT, 2000, and 2003 platforms. Experience working with SANs and NAS, preferably EMC and Netapps.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, WINS, DNS, Microsoft System
- Management Server, Net IQ, Compaq Insight Manager (CIM), EMC SAN.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interact with all levels of employees.
Preferred Certs and Skills:
- Microsoft MCSE
- Bracade Switches, Netapps NAS, EMC SAN, VM Ware, Local Area Networks.
- Exchange and Active Directory 2003 system administration monitoring directory management tools
- Appropriate server backup software. Windows NT, 2000, 2003 server, Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Visio
- Equalogic 6510
- IBM XIV
- IBM SVC
- IBM V7000
- IBM Flash System
- NeatApp FAS 8040
- Isilon NL 108
ABOUT CITY OF HOPE:
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
WHY CHOOSE CITY OF HOPE?
- One of only 45 comprehensive cancer centers, the highest designation bestowed by the National Cancer Institute
- Ranked as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” in cancer by US News & World Report
- We value workplace diversity and are committed to the training and development of our employees
- We offer a comprehensive benefit and total rewards package
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- LI-DA | *CB-DA | Req #: 8150
Back to top