Senior Research Associate - Molecular Pharmacology - Bild Laboratory
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Under minimal direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee, Senior Research Associate (SRA) directs the work of a laboratory including supervision of technical lab staff and is responsible for the development and execution of major research projects and performs state-of-the-art, complex research projects in collaboration with the other researchers, making significant, original contributions to research methods; including authorship or co-authorship of published findings. SRA position has a high degree of autonomy. SRA typically consults with the PI, or designee, and other professional researchers on the scope, design and objectives of research projects; plans and directs the technical work of research associates, laboratory research assistants, technicians and aides. Reads scientific articles pertaining to research projects/problems, proceeds without specific direction to organize and plan all techniques involved. Plans and directs the work of lab research associates advising them on problems they are unable to solve; contributes original ideas of methodological significance to the laboratory; takes responsibility for the execution of laboratory stages of research; standardizes new techniques and laboratory staff in their use; performs specialized procedures scientific discipline and prepare written reports of laboratory methods.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the development and execution of major research projects.
- Plans and directs the work of research associates, lab assistants, technicians and aides.
- Trains laboratory research staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design that maximizes samples or refines the use of specialized techniques.
- Prepares articles and papers on specialized techniques and results of procedures. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree, required.
- Five or more years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor’s degree, or;
- Four or more years related research/ laboratory experience with a Master’s degree.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to instruct/train others.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top