Senior Research Associate - Integrative Genomics Core
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
A Senior Research Associate position is available immediately at Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope. Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Senior Research Associate performs a variety of routine and complex research experiments focused on genomics
Key Responsibilities include:
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Contribute to assay design and execution with supervision
- Operate genomic instruments, including high throughput sequencing, microarray, and single cell genomics instruments
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team to ensure project deadlines are met.
- Assess information to ensure data quality and completeness of results independently.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Develops techniques and expertise in one or more genomic areas.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
- Train junior staff, as needed.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in molecular biology.
- 5+ years of research/laboratory experience.
- 2+ years of genomics assay and genomic instrument operation experience.
- Solid knowledge of molecular biology is required.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Master degree or higher education is a plus.
- Experience with liquid handling automation system is desired.
- Experience with basic bioinformatics data analysis skill is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top