Senior Research Associate
Requisition ID: 10280
Job Title: Senior Research Associate
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
Under minimal direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee, Senior Research Associate (SRA) directs the work of a laboratory including supervision of technical lab staff and is responsible for the development and execution of major research projects and performs state-of-the-art, complex research projects in collaboration with the other researchers, making significant, original contributions to research methods; including authorship or co-authorship of published findings. SRA position has a high degree of autonomy.
SRA typically consults with the PI, or designee, and other professional researchers on the scope, design and objectives of research projects; plans and directs the technical work of research associates, laboratory research assistants, technicians and aides. Reads scientific articles pertaining to research projects/problems, proceeds without specific direction to organize and plan all techniques involved. Plan and directs the work of lab research associates advising them on problems they are unable to solve; contribute original ideas of methodological significance to the laboratory ; take responsibility for the execution of laboratory stages of research; standardize new techniques and laboratory staff in their use; perform specialized procedures scientific discipline and prepare written reports of laboratory methods.
- Responsible for the development and execution of major research projects.
- Plans and directs the work of research associates, lab assistants, technicians and aides.
- Trains laboratory research staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design that maximizes samples or refines the use of specialized techniques.
- Prepares articles and papers on specialized techniques and results of procedures. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree or Masters degree required.
- Five or more years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or
- Four or more years related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to instruct/train others.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top