Senior Medical Operations Manager
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Senior Medical Operations Manager is a healthcare operations savvy leader who is responsible to develop the governance, process and reporting for major operational initiatives, projects and programs [â€œActivitiesâ€?] within the Office of the COO, as assigned by the COO. This person is responsible for hands-on work associated with building the structure to enable disciplined decision-making, resource alignment and clarity to execute. This person will also facilitate in the prioritization, timing and alignment of Activities within the COO office. Activities within the COO office may include, but are not limited to, the establishment of performance metrics/KPIs across operations, investigation and alignment of patient experience and engagement innovations to operations, Leadership Standard work deployment and adherence, Executive Scorecards, capacity management, service line initiatives, end-user technology development, development of a patient facing genius bar to enhance technology deployment, and any other special projects as assigned by the COO.
The Senior Medical Operations Manager will also be responsible for managing, executing and reporting on strategic initiatives to enhance and elevate patient experience and patient engagement at COH. The person will provide interface and coordination across departments within the Office of the COO to design and implement patient experience innovations to further develop COHâ€™s commitment to patient-centricity. This will include activities such as engaging with the ITS department around strategic technology initiatives in order to coordinate and facilitate the introduction of new technologies amongst patients, staff, providers, executives, and other stakeholders to ensure a maintained focus on end-user experience.
The Senior Medical Operations Manager will have practical experience and technical skills in health care management and executive level reporting. This role has primary responsibility for the effective implementation of performance metrics and governance to ensure the smooth and consistent execution of Activities across the various functions and entities within the Office of the COO. This person must be a team-oriented leader who drives program execution and owns executive level status reporting on the benefits realized from the Activities and organizational maturity. The individual must be able to communicate with healthcare operations leadership executives and departmental teams to manage expectations and ensure strategic alignment and prioritization. This role will manage and execute on other COO-initiated projects, primarily as they relate to opportunities to obtain unrealized value identified through the Value-Targeting analysis and the Performance Management Framework.
- Provides oversight and facilitation around governance, leadership standard work, process assessment, data collection, reporting, and development of dashboards and scorecards for Activities within the Office of the COO
- Facilitates communication between executive leadership to ensure alignment regarding initiatives and strategic direction in relation to Activities within the Office of the COO.â€¨
- Coordinates, facilitates and leads execution and reporting on patient experience innovations across all departments within the Office of the COO. Engages Patient and Family Advisory Council for feedback and adoption of innovations
- Assists in quarterly rolling budgeting process as needed to support Activities within the Office of the COO
- Manages internal operations ranging from reporting on project portfolios to creating and communicating new processes in close collaboration with SVP and project teams across the department
- Provides quality control on inter-departmental processes and communication documents
- Works with SVP and departmental VPs to develop the department's strategic plan and FY goals and takes a leadership role in implementation of department strategic plan and process reforms
- Creates internal and external presentations on the departmentâ€™s initiative work
- Partners with assigned vendors to build effective relationships and collaborative team environments; manages vendor contract SLAâ€™s to achieve established goals, and provides recommendations for enhancing vendor relationships â€¨
- Partners with key internal stakeholders to build effective relationships and collaborative team environments, makes progress toward organization support operations objectives through an exceptional ability to influence and educate â€¨
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative analyses â€¨
- Meets with executive members, and clients to maintain good communication regarding project work, goals, challenges, and expected outcomes â€¨
- Manages up to a $5M operational department budget
TECHNICAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Prior experience in at least two of the following areas preferred: Clinical program design or Health information technology solution implementation â€¨
- Functional project management experience â€¨
- Strong communication skills to interact with the executive steering committee (s), key healthcare and technical stakeholders â€¨
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills â€¨
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills â€¨
- Experience with project management and presentation tools (MS Project, MS PowerPoint)
- Experience in contracting, strategy, planning, purchasing, and monitoring â€¨â€¨
- Drives cultural change by effectively communicating the risks and impacts of poor support operations practices â€¨
- Understanding the technology impact to healthcare management operations related to the utilization of clinical and research systems â€¨
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written with demonstrated skills in presenting information to executive level management audiences.
- Establishes and communicates a clear set of success criteria: team memberâ€™s performance, career development, and project performance
- Provides clear, consistent, regular communication with executive leadership, team, and project stakeholders at all levels â€¨
- Effectively collaborates with peers and executive leadership to share resources on critical projects; seeks opportunities to help others' projects by sharing and reallocating team members' priorities and assignments â€¨
- Manages a positive, collaborative team environment that encourages support and success â€¨
- Oversees the development of skills and performance of team members to encourage innovation, growth, and loyalty to the company
- Practices â€œManagement by Wandering Around;â€? takes the opportunity to get to know staff in â€œinformal/impromptuâ€? settings
- Consistently displays â€œExecutive Presenceâ€? that is reflected in professional dress and confidence in speaking and presenting at executive level meetings
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree required
- Five years of healthcare operations, infrastructure and/or business administration experience required
- Masterâ€™s Degree in a healthcare related field
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-RA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top