Senior Manager, Transformation & Internal Communications
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Senior Manager of Transformation & Internal Communications plays a key role in promoting a culture of awareness, understanding, transparency and engagement among City of Hopeâ€™s 5000+ diverse internal stakeholders, including physicians and other care providers, clinical and scientific researchers, administrators, program staff and volunteers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Manager plays a leading role in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of internal communications initiatives and tasks to advance City of Hopeâ€™s strategic transformational agenda. The Senior Manager reinforces and promotes our recently launched internal communications campaign, Accelerate Our Impact , and provides ongoing strategic and tactical communications support for our Human Resources and Transformation teams. Much of this work entails generating story ideas, conducting interviews and producing content that promotes City of Hopeâ€™s strategic initiatives across our internal communications channels (e.g., meetings, events, email, intranet, blog, newsletters).
Because these projects entail collaboration with stakeholders from across the enterprise, the position requires sound judgment, efficiency and teamwork. As the owner of multiple short- and long-term projectsâ€each with a distinct scope, purpose and timelineâ€the Senior Manager must possess excellent organizational, project management and writing skills and be accustomed to working under deadline, completing deliverables on time and within budget. The successful candidate will work both independently and collaboratively; be detail-oriented; and manage occasional ambiguity with tact and skill.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate strategic internal communications programs and activities that support and advance our strategic plan and key transformational initiatives, as part of the Accelerate Our Impact campaign. Collaborate with enterprise leaders, initiative leads and other key stakeholders to develop and disseminate key messages, content and resources through appropriate internal communications channels.
- Support the Human Resources and Transformation teams in planning, developing, implementing and evaluating internal communications programs and activities promoting employee appreciation, training, engagement and development.
- Connect and align communications with internal stakeholders, including executive and senior leaders, physicians, scientists, department administrators and colleagues from the Office of Transformation and Marketing and Communications (internal and external), developing and maintaining strong positive working relationships.
- Oversee content development for the biweekly Perspectives blog, featuring thought leadership from City of Hope leaders on key topics of interest to the enterprise.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following Pillars in Action are the behaviors that accelerate our impact as we deliver on our Vision and Strategic Priorities:
SPEED. We move with speed.
- We execute with a sense of urgency.
- We learn quickly and adjust course.
- We take ownership and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers.
FOCUS. We act with discipline and focus.
- We own City of Hopeâ€™s enterprise priorities.
- We deliver measurable results.
- We explore ideas broadly, and commit to ideas selectively.
ENTERPRISE. We behave as one enterprise.
- We work together, not in silos.
- We stand by each other and our decisions.
- We encourage innovative thinking and embrace responsible risk taking.
CONNECTEDNESS. We connect and network.
- We attract and collaborate with diverse talent.
- We connect and extend our relationships.
- We welcome and embrace external partners.
SPONSORSHIP. We trust and sponsor.
- We value and inspire each other.
- We extend trust.
- We sponsor each otherâ€™s success.
- BA in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English or related field
- 8 to 10 years of experience in all aspects of communications, including internal communications, preferably within the healthcare arena
- Masterâ€™s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Organizational Development or related field
- Experience working in an academic medical center, nonprofit hospital/health system and/or pharma/biopharma company (in-house or agency) strongly preferred. Cancer research and treatment topical experience also is preferred
- Results-oriented - Masters the fundamentals of communications, advertising and branding and has a strong working knowledge of print and digital campaigns.
- Attention to Detail â€ A high level of organization, effective verbal and written communication, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
- City of Hope has a high standard of editorial integrity: excellent writing and editing skills and knowledge of AP style rules are a must
- Good working knowledge of all aspects of communications, marketing, event planning and business development
- Ability to convey strategic program, clinical and scientific information and achievements in a compelling way to capture the interest of key internal stakeholders
- Ability to translate highly technical/scientific concepts to a lay audience is preferred
- Strong organizational skills to effectively manage multiple projects from inception to completion
- Superior project management, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support and monitors and follows up as required
- High ethics and strong set of values
- Demonstrates high standards of personal excellence by continually seeking ways to improve performance, and setting and working to achieve goals
- Willingness to learn, while contributing ideas drawn from knowledge and experience
- Displays a passion for health care and making a difference. Expresses commitment to City of Hopeâ€™s mission and personally identifies with its vision
- Skilled in using Office 365 programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Web editing/content management systems
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Occasional pressure due to multiple priority projects, deadline requirements and event timelines
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting
- Smoke-free environment
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-RA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top