Senior Graphic Designer/Artist
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Under technical supervision of the Director of Creative Services, uses computer-based design applications to create design and produce print and digital assets including, event and marketing collateral, infographics, promotional items, advertisements and other digital components, including web and social media assets. This position will generate original design, mentor junior and mid tier staff and assist Creative Director as needed.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Director of Creative Services, Operations Manager, Sr. Designers, Jr. Designer, Mid Level Designer, Traffic and Print Supervisor on the planning, development and execution of deliverable assets for internal constituents as to proper expression of subject matter, by means of various media and techniques available.
- Ensure all assets are created with accuracy and that projects are completed as scheduled.
- Lead role in the creation and organization of design templates and library assets.
- Provide advice and guidance on design and technical aspects to less senior staff.
- Executes design solutions consistent with department design, graphic identity and City of Hope brand standards.
- Works with supervisor, department staff and internal clients to select proper photography and art and incorporate these elements into layouts.
- Prepares initial compositions, refines these with input from supervisor and internal clients, and executes final proofs.
- Tracks all assigned projects in order to meet schedules devised by supervisor/trafficker and internal clients. Prioritizes and organizes multiple projects and ensures deadlines are met.
- Generates finished product free of errors in both design and punctuation. Uses approval system delineated by department.
- Communicates with internal print shop and outside print vendors and prepares material and instructions for printing. Proofs blue lines and final pages.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
- Contributes a consistently positive attitude in working closely with the Creative Services team.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with any City of Hope employees.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Maintains records of time and material expenditures on requisition forms.
- May substitute as a photographer when needed.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in graphic design or visual communication, Digital Development or related field
- Experience may substitute for minimum education
- Must have at least 8 years of experience as a staff or freelance designer with experience on Macintosh systems
- Must have at least 8 years of experience in an agency or in-house corporate art department
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a CA DL, with a good driving record for insurance purposes.
- Must have at least 8 years of experience in electronic pre-press and print production.
- Knowledge of technical terminology unique to the graphic design/graphic arts industry.
- Knowledge of typefaces, marking type, layout, design
- Knowledge of paper stocks. Ability to select the proper stock for a particular job
- Ability to anticipate needs of web developers in creating production ready assets
- Web experience with image compression, file correction, and optimization techniques
- Motion graphics and video editing skills (After Effects, Adobe
- Understanding of html and other web technologies
- Excellent verbal and written skills
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top