Senior Financial Analyst
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Requisition ID: 10263
Job Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
The Research Finance Senior Financial Analyst provides financial and administrative support to the Research Finance team, as the unit performs financial management of internally and externally funded research accounts. Working under the direction of the Director of Research Finance, this position collaborates with the Research Finance team, departmental business managers, Principal Investigators, and other support units at City of Hope.
This position performs a variety of fiscal, administrative, and analytical functions, which requires knowledge of accounting principles, professional and administrative duties, and business functions in support of the day-to-day operations of Research Finance. Assists and supports the Director of Research Finance in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting financial data. Other tasks include working with Research Finance staff to resolve administrative problems, review research expenditures and financial transactions against institutional and sponsor policies, and prepare research reports.
- The Research Finance Financial Analyst performs a variety of duties including financial analysis and monitoring, department/program administration, and organizational support and analysis.
- Assists in the planning, preparing, and analyzing the annual research enterprise operating, extramural, and capital budgets.
- Monitors budgetary variances on a monthly basis.
- Assists in creating, managing, and budgeting various allocations and adjustments as needed.
- Address any questions regarding budget data.
- Monitors and reconciles financial transactions on designated departments and submits corrections or adjustments monthly.
- Maintains and updates startup and other strategic commitments.
- Assists with routine and special ad hoc financial reports and requests.
- Supports special projects as needed.
- Reviews capital equipment purchase requests for accuracy and completeness. Routes request paperwork to the appropriate individuals for signature.
- Works with department and central units to ensure capital equipment is successfully processed for purchase.
- Collaborates with the Research Finance Managers and Accounting to maintain accurate inventory of all capital equipment for audit purposes.
- Assists with new PCOTR project and department setups and closures, funding issues, and extension requests.
- Address any questions regarding restricted and unrestricted gifts.
- Actively participate in process improvements and enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Train/educate staff on financial and administrative processes and procedures.
- Verifies accuracy and completeness of quarterly time and effort reports from Principal Investigators.
- Prepares and updates spreadsheet to track effort and related research activities for audit purposes.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience.
- Experience working in a financial or central administration environment within a healthcare or academic organization is preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical capability with computer skills in Excel at an intermediate level and in other applications of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Visio); good communication skills, written and oral; good inter-personal skills; excellent multi-tasking skills and attention to detail.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top