Senior Director of Development, Campaign Communications
City of Hope’s mission is to “turn hope into reality.” Focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses, City of Hope has established itself as a world-class leader in transforming the future of health. Raising the philanthropic resources to fuel its leading-edge research, its exquisite and compassionate clinical care, and its advancement of biomedical education and training, is a vital component of the City of Hope model of success. Each member of the Office of Philanthropy is a stakeholder in this work, with personal accountability for his/her role in building a successful future of delivering new cures, treatments and education.
The Office of Philanthropy’s vision is to support this life-saving work by being known institutionally and nationally as a model of excellence among elite fundraising programs. Recent recruitments of nationally and internationally renowned faculty offer advancement leaders new opportunity for partnership among philanthropy, research and patient care.
The Senior Director/Writer, Campaign Communications will help to ensure the fundraising success of the philanthropic program by serving as a subject matter expert and a professional role model. The incumbent will execute strategies that support the shared vision of the Preparing Our People initiative. This effort includes City of Hope’s mission is to “turn hope into reality.” Focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses, City of Hope has established itself as a world-class leader in transforming the future of health. Raising the philanthropic resources to fuel its leading-edge research, its exquisite and compassionate clinical care, and its advancement of biomedical education and training, is a vital component of the City of Hope model of success. Each member of the Office of Philanthropy is a stakeholder in this work, with personal accountability for his/her role in building a successful future of delivering new cures, treatments and education.
The Senior Director/Writer, Campaign Communications will help to ensure the fundraising success of the philanthropic program by serving as a subject matter expert and a professional role model. The incumbent will execute strategies that support the shared vision of the Preparing Our People initiative. This effort includes helping to prepare the Philanthropy team for the rigors of a campaign, to realize our goal of excelling as a highly collaborative, efficient, and creative team. The Senior Director/Writer will help implement a cultural adherence to personal accountability, shared success, and a commitment to professional growth.
The Senior Director/Writer will contribute by employing and role modeling key processes and programs that support an office-wide focus on collaboration, efficiencies, and metrics-based performance outcomes, in addition to primary role responsibilities.
The Senior Director/Writer, Campaign Communications will work in collaboration with the Senior Executive Director of Development to help implement a strategic and comprehensive communications program to enhance philanthropic support for campus-wide initiatives including a multi-billion dollar campaign. The Senior Director is a highly-skilled and well-rounded professional operating at the highest end of competencies. The position works in tandem with the Senor Executive to develop campaign communication materials in partnership with senior leadership, researchers, clinicians and programmatic staff and gift officers. Working with City of Hope leadership, front-line fundraisers and other organization-wide collaborators, he/she will help to create publications, proposals and white papers for high-level donors and key constituency groups to serve the dual purposes of demonstrating the transformational impact of donor support and laying the groundwork for future giving.
The position will:
- Help to develop a wide range of content to foster a culture of philanthropy for transformational, principal and major gifts.
- Research and write campaign communications, including: letters of inquiry, proposals, case statements, impact reports, copy for donor-centric campaign websites, correspondence from the President and CEO as it relates to campaign messaging, and other constituent outreach.
- Help to develop multifaceted communication messaging for campaign giving.
- Help to organize, write, and edit major and principal gift proposals that support City of Hope’s efforts to engage donors and cultivate meaningful, long-term commitment. Drafts original content and edits content provided from other sources. Incorporate feedback from donors, faculty, and colleagues.
- Work in coordination with senior development officers, the Senior Executive Director of Development (Campaign Communications), and the Senior Executive Director of Donor Engagement, to ensure key messaging is consistent throughout communication publications, websites, proposals and other deliverables.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Executive Director of Development (Campaign) Communications, work with the Vice President, Philanthropy and Campaign Strategies, the Associate Vice President for Campaign Initiatives and selected faculty to develop white papers, case statements, presentation materials and speaking points to convey targeted messaging of Campaign.
- Help to develop annual campaign reports for donors and other external constituents.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Office of Philanthropy leadership and colleagues to develop campaign messaging.
- Work as a member of the Campaign Initiatives/Communications Team to develop a comprehensive and long-term strategy for Campaign Initiatives in collaboration with City of Hope faculty, key volunteers, senior leadership and other campus thought leaders. In partnership with Office of Philanthropy leadership and frontline officers, develop messaging that speaks to a wide range of audiences—from major to principal to transformational donors.
- Develop new communications vehicles that help donors understand the impact of their philanthropy on transforming the vision of City of Hope leadership into tangible treatments and ultimately cures for those challenged by cancer, diabetes, and other life-threatening illnesses.
- Provide strategic perspective and perform editorial duties with other members of the Campaign Communications staff to provide a wide range of communications materials and support for diverse audiences across the institution. Ensure that complex and technical information is conveyed in a way that is understandable and exciting to donors, understanding what is important to donors and addressing the underlying motivations that fuel giving and inspires long-term support. Support efforts to encourage consistency in messaging, graphic design and brand for all Campaign communications.
- Oversee development and execution of high impact Campaign reporting for City of Hope donors and key philanthropic initiatives. Work in collaboration with Campaign Communication team to create Campaign reporting materials by setting messaging and content strategy, guiding the collection and presentation of information of interest to donors, and overseeing the production of proposals and other associated materials. Ensure that communication materials meet or exceed City of Hope standards and deadlines are met. Lead brainstorming discussions to generate ideas and seek input to finalize proposed content. Confirm, maintain information and report on current funding programs/priorities for donor support, communicating the impact of philanthropy on those programs.
- Follow closely the trends in Campaign communications practices of national academic medical centers, comprehensive cancer centers and research institutes as well as leading global peer organizations. Identify promising approaches as well as emerging trend, communications that reflect City of Hope’s high standards for creativity and quality while also promoting innovation and ingenuity to encourage ongoing engagement among constituencies.
- Meet annual activity and performance metrics.
- Consult and collaborate colleagues to ensure that the Campaign Initiatives programming serves the needs of the organization and takes optimal advantage of other COH activities, publications, programs and strategies.
- Ensure compliance with policies governing the classification of external support and the integrity and confidentiality of data.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with City of Hope faculty and staff to support fundraising initiatives for COH priorities.
- Demonstrate an ability to solve problems, overcome hurdles, and navigate sensitive issues with discretion, tact, and strong communication skills.
- Possess thorough knowledge of the key fund-raising priorities for COH.
- Responsible for meeting established performance goals for Campaign Initiatives/Communications.
Serve as a role model for the Office of Philanthropy. Includes:
- Participating in task forces, committees and other special projects.
Sharing key information about City of Hope Campaign priorities with other colleagues and staff.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, philanthropy, science or related field.(Relevant experience may substitute for educational requirements)
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in public relations, marketing, media relations, communications, development, or related field in one of the following environments: academic medicine, university, research institutes.
- Must easily be able to navigate a wide variety of research, healthcare, business and social settings and enjoy crafting the message of City of hope to individuals and organizations that are not yet familiar with its work.
- Proficiency of MS Office
- This position requires travel, irregular hours and communication with volunteers outside regular business hours.
Preferred Education and Skills:
- Advanced degree in related field.
- Experience in a complex medical or academic development setting preferred.
- Development, Academic Medicine, Non-Profit Communications, Marketing.
- Experience with high production publication and campaign materials.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top