Senior Director, Clinical Research Unit
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 10749
Title: Senior Director, Clinical Research Unit
To be part of Research Operations at City of Hope, every employee should understand and share in the COH Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values which include integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion-must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Vice President of Research Operations, the Senior Director of the Clinical Research Unit (CRU) is responsible for the care delivery, standardization, coordination, and leadership of all clinical trials conducted within the Clinical Research Unit (CRU). The Senior Director, Clinical Research Unit (CRU) will be responsible for ensuring optimal patient flow utilizing current and future infusion beds/ chairs to minimize the wait times, encourage patient education as well as the standardization of processes and procedures to improve the patient experience for research participants at the Duarte campus. S/he is responsible for ensuring high quality, safe reliable, and efficient care, in a defined functional area of outpatient services. The CRU Senior Director uses managerial, interpersonal, and clinical skills to model, motivate, and monitor performance resulting in superior quality service, exceptional patient experience, clinical consistency for research patients and financial outcomes.
As a member of the research operations senior leadership team, Senior Director of the Clinical Research Unit (CRU) supports and facilitates an interdisciplinary team approach to the delivery of research care. This includes creating a nursing environment in which research collaboration is valued and excellence in clinical care, clinical research and education is promoted and achieved. The Senior Director of the CRU ensures the continued advancement of the profession of nursing at COH.The incumbent is responsible for providing direction, leadership, management, fiscal control and integration of all clinical research protocols and patient care services for the CRU.
The candidate will possess transformational and collaborative leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice and new knowledge, innovation, and improvements. The CRU Senior Director will collaborate extensively with the CRU Medical Director, Senior Director of the Clinical Trials Office and the SVP of Research Operations on a consistent basis to ensure communication of effectiveness of the responsibilities above and all role responsibilities defined below.
- Patient Flow: Serves as the CRU nursing leader working in collaboration with the CRU charge nurses, CRU nurses, CTO clinical research nurses, CRU Medical Director, clinical research physicians and other members of the study management team and ancillary services to ensure safe patient flow, enhancing patient experience by facilitating the right patient, in the right bed or chair, at the right time. In addition, serves as the CRU nursing and research peritoneal leader, responsible to oversee that safe patient flow is maintained and appropriate nursing and support staff are available while ensuring safety and efficiency. Shares accountability for safe, effective, high quality care and optimal outcomes in the CRU.
- Staffing and Effectiveness: Accountable to ensure safe staffing levels and clinical competence to provide excellent nursing care to every patient in the Clinical Research Unit. Provides direct patient care and ensures appropriate staffing levels and skill mix are maintained.
- Financial Performance: Participates in research operations and CRU strategies to ensure the financial well-being of the organization and how the CRU's day to day clinical operations impact the overall financial state and national reputation of City of Hope National Medical Center. Demonstrate a solid understanding of financial forecast and patient volume related to organizational mission, vision, and values and organizational strategic business plan.
- Strategic Vision: Participates in research operations and research strategies to develop a robust best in class phase I program at City of Hope. Demonstrates a firm undertraining of the inter disciplinary work, planning and financial planning required to successfully deliver a state of the art clinical research unit with the Duarte Outpatient Center.
- Quality and Safety: A key leader within research operations who role models and supports excellence in clinical practice and promotes a culture of safe, high quality care on the unit. This will achieve superior outcomes and ensures unit visibility by conducting regular patient, staff and leader rounding.
- Service Excellence: Ensures the delivery of Patient and Family Centered Care at COH by working with patients and their families based on: Participation, Dignity and Respect, Information Sharing, and Collaboration. S/he must serve as a role model and create a great "First Impression" by demonstrating exemplary customer service skills for all customer groups including patients, family/friends, physicians, staff, research study team and support department personnel. Identify and analyze trends in service excellence and ensure staff accountability for adherence to COH Service Excellence standards.
- This position is responsible in ensuring that the cancer clinical trials are aligned with CCSG requirements to meet the spirit of the guidelines which require that trials are opened to meet the patient needs within the City of Hope designated catchment areas. This position will collaborate extensively with the Senior Director of Clinical Trials Office to develop processes and procedures that benefit the patients which enable seamless transition for timely delivery of care for patients once trials are activated. Inherent in this role, is the need to provide overall education to the clinical research teams in conjunction with the Senior Director of the Clinical Trials Office to accomplish critical research operational goals. The position will also collaborate closely with the Chief Nursing Officer to ensure alignment and proper protocol with the general nursing practice and guidelines of the institution.
- The Senior Director, Clinical Research Unit develops and maintains productive relationships with the research and clinical community and other important stakeholders at City of Hope. It is critically important for success that the CRU Director:
- Relies on experience, expertise and judgment to define and accomplish goals;
- Facilitates communication among leaders and stakeholders at all organizational levels;
- Leads and directs the work of others to oversee the conduct innovative clinical trials and advance the standard of care towards best practices in clinical research,
- Partners with communication and marketing to advance novel therapies to our patients; and
- Develops and implements effective performance metrics.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- The position directly supervises:
- Clinical Assistant Nurse Manager (1)
- Clinical Nurse (10)
- Undergraduate degree in Nursing, (Valid California RN license required)
- If out of state, must obtain CA RN license within 120 days of start date.
- Seven to ten years progressively responsible experience related to the conduct of clinical trials.
- Minimum of ten years of experience related to the management and conduct of oncology clinical trials in an academic setting required.
- Experience in coordinating and managing the efforts of health care personnel who work in the clinical trials arena.
- Working knowledge of policies and procedures that govern clinical research, including but not limited to FDA regulations, Good Clinical Practices, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), National Cancer Institute Cancer Center Support Grants (NCI CCSG) requirements and City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center programs and processes.
- Working knowledge of California Board of Registered Nurses Regulation 2725, and Title 22 in addition to The Joint Commission Standards
- NP or Graduate degree(s) preferred
- Certified Clinical Research Professional
- Knowledge and experience in managing clinical trials.
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and requirements for the conduct of clinical trials and research subjects protection.
- Knowledge and experience in the clinical research environment.
- Knowledge and experience in health care setting.
- Broad knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of clinical care in a clinical research setting.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top