Senior Data Analyst - Clinical Informatics
Requisition #: 9922
Job Title: Senior Data Analyst - Clinical Informatics
The objective of the Senior Clinical Informatics Data Analyst is to support the utilization of data as well as risk and predictive models to optimize clinical care processes. This will be done through informing strategy and decision support. The data analyst works closely with clinical leaders to refine the clinical questions, problems and goals. This position will ensure that the design of clinical information systems (from a data perspective) represents these needs and is optimal in order to achieve clinical goals and outcomes. The Senior Data Analyst will use data mining, statistics, statistical modeling and machine learning to understand relationships and patterns in data. The insights gathered from this analysis are translated into actionable steps and best practices through clinical decision support systems, dashboard, and reports. This role will participate in the development of tools to enable visualization and use of this information within care processes.
- Develop and implement a model for clinical data management, standardization and governance.
- Perform analytics on patient populations
- Perform explanatory data analyses, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data and identify patterns
- Analyze and model structured data using advanced statistical methods
- Build algorithms to predict future data trends and relationships.
- Meet with clinicians and administrative leaders to explain data, data analysis, insights and relationships within data
- Analyze and mine clinical data to identify patterns and correlations among the various data points
- Analyze and interpret clinical data, extract clinical relevance and formulate recommendations for clinical and operational processes
- Design and maintain clinical score cards, dashboards and reports in a standardized fashion to ensure readabilty, accuracy and understanding by clinicians
- Produce reports from clinical data to meet end-user needs
- Ensure a standardized and consistent approach to use of clinical coding and classification systems
- Assist in development of measures for monitoring clinical outcomes and processes
- Assist with development of methods to monitor data integrity, accuracy and reliability
- Assists with the design and maintenance of data governance structures, policies and procedures
- Collaborate and develop working relationships with clinical departments, divisions and operational leaders as well as research informatics
- Translate and prioritize end-user clinical data requirements to the technical team for further design and implementation of clinical applications
- Work with the build team to ensure clinical capture, data standardization and normalization for connectivity and interoperability
- Work with the build team and vendors to ensure that data design meets requirements for the integration and exchange of clinical data
- Identify areas for optimization and enhancements with clinical data documentation and data elements in orders
- Develop and manage a Clinical Decision Support (CDS) program using clinician requirements and system capabilities to drive outcomes.
- Collaborate with clinicians and develop an assessment program to monitor the effectiveness of individual CDS interventions.
- Participates in research in clinical informatics
- Serve as an expert resource and consultant for all areas of the medical center with regard to data collection, standards, management, governance, retrieval and use as well as design and use of CDS elements and tools.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in statistics, mathematics, informatics, machine learning, computer science, epidemiology or a related field
- 5-8 years of experience with data analytics
- Experience in using analytics to generate and validate insights from large data sets
- Experience with relational databases and SQL queries
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Masters degree preferred
- Experience in a health care environment
- Experience in health plans/payer environment
- EHR experience
- 3+ years of applicable experience developing and successfully implementing statistical models for data mining, predictive (risk) modeling, clustering, and classification
- 2+ years of experience with decision trees
- Must be knowledgeable in statistical and analytic packages such as R, Matlab, SAS, SPSS and Weka
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl)
- Ability to exercise independence and use creative approaches to problem-solving.
- Able to creatively combine diverse computational methods, and, when necessary, develop new ones to best analyze various types of data
- Fully capable of turning questions into testable hypotheses, extracting data from complex databases, creating and evaluating statistical models, and presenting insights to senior clinical and operational leaders
- Experience in data visualization.
- Comfortable communicating complex technical subjects to non-technical audiences using practical examples, and prototypes
ABOUT CITY OF HOPE:
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
WHY CHOOSE CITY OF HOPE?
- One of only 45 comprehensive cancer centers, the highest designation bestowed by the National Cancer Institute
- Ranked as one of America's Best Hospitals in cancer by US News & World Report
- We value workplace diversity and are committed to the training and development of our employees
- We offer a comprehensive benefit and total rewards package
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-DA1 | *CB-DA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top