Senior Accountant, Fixed Assets
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
This role is primarily responsible for the proper recording, verifying and posting of all transactions related to fixed assets. This associate will maintain and report on this related data in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. In addition, the Fixed Assets Senior Accountant will be responsible for the accurate and timely processing of all fixed asset acquisitions and disposals in the City of Hope G/L system. This position will also be required to ensure that all balances related to fixed assets are reconciled in a timely manner in accordance with the Corporate Accounting governance document.
The person in this role will serve as the main point of contact for general and specialized support in various fixed asset accounting functions, including assigning useful lives, depreciation calculation, and fixed asset inventory management. The associate will be responsible for providing financial decision support to initiatives involving Fixed Assets; month-end analysis will also be required as it pertains to significant activity within the area, including additions, retirements, depreciation, etc. The position will require a thorough review to be completed for appropriate capitalizations through account analysis and journal entry review. Aside from fixed asset analysis, this position will be responsible for the accounting/maintenance of all capital and operating leases held by the organization.
As noted above, this role is expected to significantly co-pilot both external and internal teams in ensuring complete visibility over the financial statements and providing any relevant month-end analysis. This will include communication of financial results to applicable stakeholders, with an emphasis on continuous improvement over the reporting process.
This role will also be crucial in supporting City of Hope internal controls through the creation and maintenance of a Governance document stipulating various Fixed Asset best practices (capitalization threshold, expense vs. capitalization, fixed asset count, proper safeguarding, etc). The creation of this manual will require working closely with internal audit as well as providing recommendations to the line manager on key focus areas. Strong communication skills will also be crucial as training sessions and inter-office memorandums will need to be held/drafted to educate external functions on what is required in project submissions.
For all of the above areas, this role will be expected to make recommendations to the line manager on creating efficiencies within the role, including implementing standardizations and streamlining processes where applicable. This includes (but is not limited to), reviewing end to end month-end closing and day to day procedures to determine how we can reduce redundancies and increase output relative to financial analysis to end users.
Key Responsibilities include:
The following framework illustrates essential functions which are required for the success of the role. The key area for this role will be, through work with the line manager, to create a strong controls environment in conjunction with efficient processes.
- Oversees maintenance of General Ledger Chart of Accounts as it pertains to Fixed Assets.Reconciles and analyzes said general ledger accounts.All accounts to be reconciled on a consistent and timely basis (timing of reconciliations to be determined by line manager)
- Assists with auditors and provides necessary information regarding accounting procedures and data.
- Create and monitor a system of controls, process and procedures, and forms relative to the Fixed Assets process. Ensure that external departments are aware of best practices and procedures through periodic trainings.
- Maintain the Capital Project accounting system. This involves inputting projects as they are approved, and reconciling the system to the general ledger each month.
- Diligent monitoring of project spend vs. budget as well as communications with project managers to ensure projects are capitalized in a timely manner.
- Review and approval of project requisition forms
- Verifies that capital budgets are within requested capital budget dollars, and when issues arise, takes appropriate actions to inform end users when budget is fulfilled
- Independently analyzes account activity and makes appropriate adjustments as necessary to adjust for items that are not capitalizable.
- Responsible to ensure proper asset coding for asset classification as federally funded, other grant funded, bond financed, restricted fund financed.
- Responsible for accurate accounting (and maintenance) of lease transactions recorded in the Assets Module, both capital and operating.Includes accounting for deferred rent stemming from escalating rent payments, rent holidays, etc.
- Accurate reporting on project cost build-up, depreciation, additions, retirements and disposals
- Coordinate fixed assets inventory count in accordance with corporate policy and procedures.Directs the annual physical inventory process, providing procedures and guidance to inventory areas. Requires working with Internal and External auditors.
- Supports the Corporate Reporting and Governance manager in providing an assessment of process with recommendations for improvement over the fixed asset role.This includes (but is not limited to) creating standardizations, developing materiality levels, proposals regarding fixed asset counts, reducing redundancies, creating efficiencies around the closing process, etc.
- Month-end analysis over Fixed Assets accounts to be performed and communicated to various leads within the organization as needed.
- Proactive identification and analysis of business issues and opportunities, including recommendations for future actions
- Expand the current boundaries of analytical thinking in the current process, while continually challenging financial assumptions and business modeling to further enable strategic thinking
This position will also require the following functional capabilities:
- Financial Analysis and Insights
- Financial processes
- Financial Control
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 5-8 years in accounting/finance with related fixed assists experience, preferably in a corporate finance role.
- Must have demonstrated financial accounting skills and controls.
Preferred Education and Skills:
- Master's in Business Administration
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top