Security Officer - 12 month Assignment
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Provides security for patients, employees, and visitors; protects buildings, assets, and premises as assigned. This is a 12 month Temporary assignment.
The following are essential job accountabilities:
The following job accountabilities may be reassigned:
17. Attends meetings as required.
-  The performance of this function is the reason that the job exists.
-  There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
-  This function occupies a great deal of the employee's time
-  Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
- High School or equivalent
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- One year prior hospital security experience preferred.
- Personal computer experience preferred.
- AB5O8/management of aggressive behavior
- Current CA Drivers license; Guard Registration card; Firearm permit; pepper spray permit; CPR within three months of hire;
- International Associations for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS) Basic training certificate within six months of hire
- Associateâ€™s Degree
Preferred Field of Expertise
- Criminal justice, law enforcement or related field
- Display tact and consideration in dealing with City of Hope patients, employees and visitors.
- Aptitude: Req./Pref.
- Answer telephones
- Interviews others
- Maintains logs
- Prepare reports
- Research information
- Two-way radio
- Personal computer
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Temperature Changes: variations in temperature from hot to cold
- Atmosphere and environment associated with patient care areas
- Tobacco-free campus
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Likely exposure to dangers of assaults/hazards from investigating
- Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis
- Heavy physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs.)
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top