Responsible for high quality written scientific documents for funding applications and publication, including writing, editing, and proofreading grant proposals, scientific manuscripts for peer review, white papers, protocols, and other scientific documents; searches for new funding opportunities; assists with updating reference materials.
- Write, edit (content, style and grammar/spelling), and proofread R01 and R01-like grant proposals, scientific manuscripts for peer review, INDs, clinical and IRB protocols, or other scientific documents for faculty, research fellows, and students.
- Assist with maintenance of databases and/or reference libraries.
- Search the internet and other sources for foundation and government grant opportunities.
- Translate scientific abstracts into lay terms.
- Assist with planning and conducting educational courses and workshops.
- Assist with assembling scientific documents as necessary (e.g., large institutional grants, annual/occasional reports, progress reports for grants admin., IND applications, etc.).
- Assist Graduate School in assembling, editing, and publishing the Graduate School catalog, and other promotional materials, etc.
- Assist with maintenance/update of department website.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master’s degree and one or more years scientific writing experience, preferably in a healthcare/research/academic environment.
- Experience writing grants, including NIH R01 proposals, and/or experience with IND applications and clinical protocols preferred.
- Education in Biology, biochemistry, or other life science is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Competence with on-line searches.
- Ability to work collaboratively, meet deadlines, have attention to details, perform multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, PhotoShop
- Knowledge of Data analysis/graphing software, Adobe Illustrator, and database software is preferred.
- Understanding of HTML an asset.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top