Research Support Technician (Animal Care)
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationÃ¢&tm;s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 10616
Job Title: Research Support Technician (Animal Care)
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Animal Care Supervisor, is responsible for the husbandry care of laboratory animals, including monitoring and reporting animal health status, providing feed and water, changing cages, environmental monitoring, documenting animal room activities, and sanitizing assigned animal holding rooms and support areas.
- Observes all animals in assigned work area and reports any sick, injured or distressed animals to an Animal Health Technician or the Clinical Veterinarian.
- Changes cages at scheduled intervals and whenever needed to support animal health and wellbeing.Ensures animals have adequate food and water at all times.
- Documents daily animal husbandry activities in a computerized database system.
- Monitors and documents animal holding room environment.Reports non-compliant environmental parameters and/or malfunctioning equipment to the Animal Care Supervisor or Facilities Manager.
- Maintains animal holding rooms and assigned support areas in a clean and orderly state.
- Sanitizes animal holding rooms and assigned support areas.
- Performs weekly animal census accurately and reconciles discrepancies in a timely manner in accordance with DCM/ARC policies.
- Performs rack changes and animal transfer station/biosafety cabinet maintenance as required.
- Restrains animals for various technical procedures such as subcutaneous or intraperitoneal injections.May assist with diagnostic sample collection such as blood or feces collection.
- Provides technical services to investigators including mixing and dispensing special diets, medicating drinking water, providing special housing requirements or assisting with specific restraint and handling procedures.
- Humanely euthanizes animals as requested or required.
- Performs other animal care related duties or facility maintenance as required.
- Performs duties in accordance with DCM/ARC Standard Operating Procedures and City of Hope safety policies.
- Participates in training sessions, staff meetings, and continuing education activities.
- Interacts/establishes working relationships and communicates effectively and positively with research and Animal Resources Center staff.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- High School or equivalent
- Current CA driver license
- Prior animal care or veterinary technician experience preferred
- AALAS ALAT certification preferred
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top