Research Business Manager-BRI
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Research Business Manager supports multiple faculty members, postdoctoral fellows and research associates within their department. The Research Business Manager (BM) reports directly to the Research Business Director (BD), and is responsible for supporting the daily operations within the department(s) ensuring that objectives/deadlines are achieved, reviewing and monitoring contract and grant proposal applications and awards, reviewing and approving extramural expenditures, delegating work flow, managing extramural proposal activity with support staff and multiple Principal Investigators (PIs), monitoring financial management of extramural funding, interacting with other centralized offices (Safety, Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), Office of Foundation Relations (OFR), Clinical Trials Support Services (CTSS), Office of Technology Licensing (OTL), Legal, Contract Management, Immigration, core facilities, and other auxiliary offices), assisting with short-term and long-term administrative decisions with the BD, and meeting with PIs to resolve budgetary and/or laboratory operational issues. The range of duties is broad and requires an understanding of the mission and goals of the City of Hope.
25% - Human Resources
- Under limited supervision, lead personnel actions for department staff and/or faculty as requested, including but not limited to:
- Initiate internal hiring processes, recruitment, and onboarding of faculty and non-faculty.
- NES onboarding (visa requests, English proficiency evaluations, AccessNet, login ID, Outlook, etc.)
- Organize, develop, and direct new employee departmental orientation
- Performance review processes (establishing staff performance standards and monitoring progress toward meeting overall objectives, developing individual staff objectives, facilitate annual review process)
- Participate in regular meetings with staff to review workload productivity, current events, problems and potential areas of concern.
- Manage Research Business Analysts (BA) and other administrative staff.
- Administrative (HR) oversight of departmental staff (identifying staff development and training needs and opportunities for staff to grow professionally)
- Coordinate logistics (postings, etc.) of employee recruitment
- Serves as liaison with area supervisors.
40% - Financial Management
- Review and approve financial reports and analyses for all budgets and expenses for general monthly reporting to BD and PIs.
- Prepare and develop departmental budgets using data and providing projections and recommendations.
- Prepare and approve Labor and Non-Labor Cost Transfers
- Lead project close out processes (e.g., clear encumbrances, close POs, closeout sub-awards, pay invoices, etc.)
- Meets with BD on a regular basis (e.g., bi-weekly) to update on status of financial reporting, financial issues and resolutions, budgetary planning, monitoring and controls.
- Manage extramural funds (e.g., federal and non-federal funds, contracts, clinical trials, grants, gifts, endowments and other forms of financial support) and internal funds (e.g, Academic Improvement Funds, Academic Discretionary Funds, Salary Savings, endowments, and institutional operational budgets) through periodic reporting of financial position of each PI, regular and ad hoc reports for faculty trends including expenditure, grant income, resource allocation, and comprehensive forecasting of average spending. Report regular updates to BD and PIs.
- Review and approve purchase requisitions, check requests, reimbursements, travel authorizations and business expense reports
- Implement the resolution of budget variances.
- Resolving discrepancies within the institution regarding awards, budgets, invoices, etc. in coordination with various central offices.
- Assist BD with contract management, including contract workflow, new agreements and amendments.
- Implement the preparation and management of institution chart-of-accounts including areas such as expenditure control, revenue monitoring and invoicing.
- Under direction of the BD, implement long-range financial plans, analyses, and recommends adjustments where appropriate.
25% - Research Administrative Support
- Coordinate and assist in development and submission of typical proposals and as needed, under the guidance of BD, on large and complex proposals.
- Assist in preparation of post-award setup (budgets and associated project setup activities)
- Implement contract and grant administration purchase and expenditure control process.
- Respond to inquiries for interpretation, monitoring, and analysis regarding operating policies and procedures.
- Process contracts within MediTract and ERP as needed, working with vendors, OSR, OTL, Contract Management, and Legal.
- Manage API/ Grant Tracking System for staff and faculty time off and submit correct time sheets to payroll.
- Review accuracy of personnel time and effort reporting in ecrt system and work with OSR and PI to update/correct errors.
- Work with PIs in handling patents, intellectual properties and clinical trials as required.
- Deliver training to departmental administrative staff on a regular basis regarding research administration.
- Meet monthly with PIs to advise them on issues including, but not limited to, financial planning, clinical productivity, recruiting, and academic activities.
- Work with the BD to provide adequate staff support to ensure administrative needs are provided throughout the divisions/departments.
- Meet regularly with BD to discuss department matters and operational issues and develop plans to further the goals of the Organization.
- Coordinate staff work and assist staff by answering questions and cascading down changes in COH procedures.
- Effectively collaborate on a continual basis with Office of Sponsored Research and other collaborators,to implement efficient and relevant business processes
- Manage spending on grants so that all expenditures are appropriate and allowable within the grant budget and period, and adhere to relevant policies and regulations.
10% - Departmental Support
- Assist in department business activities, including but not limited to: purchasing, facilities, travel, and reporting required by the institution.
- Assist and coordinate in areas of building and equipment safety and maintenance and other services.
- Coordinating lab safety training, lab coat services, and other general lab support.
- Maintains working relationship with central departments through daily interactions.
- Coaches and mentors analysts and administrative staff.
- Serves on committees as requested.
5% - Other Duties
- Participate in short- and long-range planning and policy or program development by analyzing operational policies, resource utilization, etc. and developing recommendations for department management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
The position directly supervises: This position typically directly supervises Research Business Analysts and other departmental staff.
The position indirectly supervises: This position may indirectly supervise other departmental staff at the discretion and direction of the BD.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in business, finance, business administration, research administration, science, or related field.
- 3 years of business management experience in an academic research or healthcare environment including 2 years of progressively responsible management experience. Demonstrated experience in personnel management, extramural fund management, and financial management.
- Masterâ€™s Degree in business administration or Healthcare administration is preferred.
Preferred Courses /Training:
- AIRI; NCURA; SRA
- 5+ years of business management experience in an academic research or healthcare environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically
- Agility and flexibility (â€œgrace under fireâ€?)
- Comfortable navigating business and finance issues in a matrix portfolio environment
- Being proactive/taking initiative
- Skillful strategic communications with stakeholders
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, required
- Microsoft Access, Visio, Outlook preferred
- PeopleSoft, preferred
- InfoEd, preferred
- API preferred
- Web-Ex / Zoom preferred
- PC or Mac; Telephone, other standard office equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Mostly sedentary work at computer for long periods of time
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 1 lbs.)
- Travel across campus for meetings
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-RA
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top