Research Business Analyst
This position will report to the Director, Research Data Management and Analysis and will routinely review and analyze business process, workflow procedures, and job functions to provide insight and suggestions for improvements. Participates in related projects to develop business case during project initiation and maintenance, identify business needs and develop functional requirements and prototypes for system design, develop testing validation requirements for system testing, and assist in change management strategies for adoption of new systems or system changes throughout the project life cycle. Responsible for understanding research-related data and how it flows between the following systems: Pre-Award Grant System, PeopleSoft HCM and Financial, RAFT, ecrt Time and Effort, and Grant Reports.
Business Process and System Analysis
- Understand business processes and how they are defined between various stakeholders.
- Understand system configuration and how to troubleshoot system issues on the front end.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, user groups, surveys, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task, and workflow analysis.
- Socialize stakeholder requirements with system owner(s).
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following as needed: Business Case Analysis; Business Process Documentation/Work Flow Diagrams; Functional Requirements/Business Requirements Documentation; Functional Specifications; Use Cases, mock-up of GUI Screen and Interface designs.
- Understand the solution options that are available, guide project stakeholders, prioritize options based on merits, and recommend the best option.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Identify all the systems, processes and users that are impacted by the business problem, and/or the solution.
RAFT System Administration
- Act as first point of contact to troubleshoot and resolve system issues with stakeholders.
- Develop and test business cases for system fixes and enhancements.
- Act as the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams.
- Distinguish a business problem’s symptoms from its root cause, and help discover the true root cause.
- Ensure that the system/process users’ interests are known and communicated to other project stakeholders.
- Coordinates, designs, facilitates and delivers training sessions for new RAFT users.
- Maintains security tree in RAFT.
- Understanding of PeopleSoft chartfields and GL and Project Costing business units.
- Prioritize production issues, enhancements, and projects with and amongst teams
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science or other relevant field is preferred.
- 1 to 3 years of experience as a system support analyst and process improvement or change management business analyst position required and in a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to work and communicate effectively on all levels in the organization.
- Excellent presentation skills, should be an effective facilitator and presenter, including knowledge of media creation, communication, and distribution techniques and methods.
- Strong project and time management skills including excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task effectively.
- Excellent problem solving and process methodology toolsets, including analytical skills, critical thinking, diplomacy and sound judgment and decision making.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Active learning and listening, including ability to learn new computer systems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications required, such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Oracle PeopleSoft, Pre-Award Grant Systems.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top