Research Associate II - QC Assays - Kandeel Laboratory
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
We have an immediate need for a Research Associate II (RAII) position to become a quality control (QC) member for the islet cell transplant program in the Department of Translational Research and Cellular Therapeutics, Diabetes & Metabolism Research Institute at City of Hope. Under the direct supervision of the QC Manager, or designee, the RAII performs the maintenance of materials and equipment to be used under GMP compliant, a variety of QC assays requited for the quality assessments of human islets isolated from cadaveric donor pancreata for clinical transplantation and/or basic science research use.
This position requires excellent laboratory skills, great attention to detail at the bench, and meticulous documentation practices. In addition, this position will require occasional flexible work schedule, including occasional weekend on-call due to the nature of the transplantation timeline .
Key Responsibilities include:
- Use of microscope to count islet numbers and perform viability assessments.
- Conduct islet function tests including media and buffer preparations.
- Responsible for islet sterility testing.
- Responsible for preparation of sterility sample packages and provide them to the manufacturer team.
- Responsible for receiving sterility sample packages and drop-off to clinical laboratories for testing.
- Responsible for receiving, recording sterility test results, and preparing the report to QS.
- Record all test results for in-process control and lot release.
- Responsible for equipment management and maintenance of the QC lab and its systems in a cGMP compliant state.
- Responsible for maintaining records of work performed.
- Participate in review and creation of new and existing SOPs.
- Assist PI on research projects when no donor samples on hand towards obtaining research grants.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, plus 2 years of related research/clinical/laboratory experience; or
- Master's degree, plus 1 year of related research/clinical/laboratory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent skills for organizing the given multiple tasks.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Proficiency computer skills; eg. Microsoft Access, Excel, etc.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top