Research Associate II - Histoimmunofluoresent Staining for Tissue Infiltrating Cells and Regenerating Beta Cells - Defu Zeng Laboratory
- Duarte, CA
Thank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this posting is to recruit for on-going and future positions in the Diabetes and Metabolism Research Institute in the laboratory of Dr. Defu Zeng.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
We are recruiting a Research Associate II to assist on lab research activities, in particular, to perform histoimmunofluoresent staining for tissue infiltrating cells and regenerating beta cells.
Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the Research Associate II (RAII) directs the work of a laboratory or undertakes research projects in collaboration with academic supervisor, making innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory procedures which may not change the course of an investigation but do indicate significant independent contribution beyond the RA I level. RAII typically consults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; reads abstracts and articles; organize and plan techniques; plan and assign the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems they are unable to solve; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staff on these techniques; perform specialized procedures and prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology or related areas, in particular, with talent and experience in histoimmunofluorescent staining and analysis.
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor’s degree,
- One year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master’s degree,
- The applicants are also expected to be highly motivated, responsible, reliable, and hard-working, and eventually become a specialist in the area of histopathology and immunofluorescent staining and analysis.
- Excellent computer skills.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
• Master's degree.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top