Research Associate I - qPCR, Blood Sample Processing, DNA Extraction - Kandeel Laboratory
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
We have an immediate need for a talented Research Associate I (RAI) with experience working with molecular biology techniques such as real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence techniques and image analysis.
**May require work on occasional Saturday's, per department need.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques.
- Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree,
- Experience with real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence techniques; and image analysis.
- Experience in embedding tissue to create a paraffin block, dissociate cell clusters into single cell suspensions to create cytospun sections, perform DNA/RNA isolation followed by real time PCR, optimizing IHC/IF protocols for multi-marker analysis.
- Excellent computer skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top