Research Associate I
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate I
A Research Associate I position is available in the Immuno-Oncology Core Facility, under the laboratory of Dr. Peter P. Lee, at the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope. The Beckman Research Institute is an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution, and a designated Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute. The City of Hopeâ€™s Beckman Research Institute provides an environment that encourages interdisciplinary collaboration. The selected candidate will be part of a dynamic translational research team involved in developing immune therapy for cancer at City of Hope.
- Performs routine histologic or immunohistochemical procedures, as assigned.
- Collect data and maintain patient information databases for studies. Required to input data, run various reports, and may be required to conduct minimal analysis. Will maintain patient records as part of record-keeping function and be responsible for entering study data into various databases in addition to the organization of confidential hard-copy subject files and records.
- Calculate, graph, and compile data obtained; present results to supervisor.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instrumentation and other related equipment.
- Troubleshoot procedures for efficiency or problems.
- Perform tasks which may require familiarity with a variety of techniques and equipment.
- Use appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and disposal of biohazards, infectious, radioactive and toxic substances. Ensure that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with such procedures.
- Train, assist and advice lab research personnel in procedures and use of equipment.
- Assist with the preparation of formal research reports and manuscripts for publication in professional journals.
- Conduct literature searches to identify new techniques and remain current.
- Request and order supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times.
- Plan specific research procedures and provide input to the overall research design. Analyze and evaluate research results and provide input to the research analyses and findings.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in biological sciences
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a life science with 1-2+ yearsâ€™ experience in laboratory research, preferred.
- Prior experience with immunohistological staining on FFPE samples is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with histology strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of computer programs, databases, etc.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Careful attention to detail.
Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects rights and individual needs.
- Excellent computer skills
- Personal computer
- Basic Laboratory equipment; such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments
Protective Equip: May be Required
- Must wear PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top