Radiation Therapist - South Pasadena
- Pasadena, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Provides radiation therapy to patients as prescribed by the Radiation Oncologist according to established policies and procedures, standards and practices.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Delivers a prescribed and planned course of radiation therapy to patients; answers patient questions and explains procedures.
- Performs simulation procedures as ordered by the Radiation Oncologist and according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
- Adheres to the charge accumulation process implemented for the radiation oncology department and appropriately all charges for procedure performed.
- Checks prescription, diagnosis, EMR, patient identification, etc.
- Interfaces with the medical physicist, simulation therapist and Dosimetrist at initiation of treatment; consults with supportive care staff including physicians and nurses to provide high quality patient care.
- Prepares room and equipment for patient. Stocks room with linen, supplies and orders as needed.
- Reinforces recommendations given to patients by the physician, nurse, dietitian, etc., concerning reaction to treatment and care of the radiated area, prevention or treatment of generalized and local side effects.
- Observes patient for any unusual reactions to events.
- Demonstrates ability to tailor care based on unique requirements of patients’ age and developmental needs. Exhibits knowledge of patient’s developmental needs and demonstrates skills necessary to deliver patient care to that population.
- Assists in tumor localization and dosimetry procedures.
- Checks images for all treated areas and shows these to the physician; changes therapy as ordered.
- Assists in training other radiation therapy staff as needed.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, professional affiliations, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required
- Participates in the performance improvement process and related projects
- Demonstrates understanding of COH mission and vision statement. Provides quality service to customers, employees and visitors in the performance of work assignments and duties.
- Implements and maintains established radiation oncology center policies, procedures and objectives, as well as quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control policies.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Post High School Vocational/Specialized Training in an accredited Radiation Therapy Education Program.
- 0-3 years related experience, depending on training.
- Graduate of accredited radiologic technology course plus radiation therapy course.
- Licensed by California State Department of Health (Certified in Radiation Therapy); Registration by ARRT; Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification (adult & pediatric).
- Per Diem
- Monday – Friday
- Location: South Pasadena
Back to top