Responsible for purchasing actions associated with assigned commodity groups and/or vendors. Purchases goods and services for City of Hope departments at the lowest cost consistent with accepted standards for quality and service. Assures that follow-up with suppliers is performed, ensuring compliance with prices and deliveries.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Reviews approved requisitions to assure that adequate information is indicated.
- Consults with the customer in order to obtain technical information, specifications, and recommended vendors.
- Obtains and reviews any technical information available and contacts vendors to obtain competitive bids on the item to be purchased.
- Selects supply source that can provide the desired quality, prompt service, best price, GPO compliance, standardization, and technical integration with MMIS systems.
- Decides which type of purchase order should be awarded to qualified suppliers, standard, amount only, or scheduled.
- Assures that follow-up takes place on items purchased in order to assure timely delivery and correctness of receipts.
- Coordinates with departments, receiving personnel, vendors and accounts payable personnel to resolve problems encountered with prices or delivery of the order.
- Assists departments and/or staff as required to obtain and/or identify supplies or technical and specialized equipment necessary to provide City of Hope with needed products.
- Performs data entry, auto sourcing, purchase order acknowledgments, EDI Transactions, and match exceptions in PeopleSoft.
- Prepares reports on product research, standards and cost analysis to be discussed with the department in order to make final decision concerning vendor and price.
- Collaborates with Value Analysis and Systems Management teams to determine stock/non-stock, internally cataloged, and value analysis qualified products.
- May assume duties of Purchasing Management during absence.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as required. Communicates relevant issues to the Department Head and other staff members.
- Associate’s Degree, Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- 2 years hospital purchasing experience, knowledgein PeopleSoft
- Courses in purchasing or finance a plus
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top