Professional Practice Leader - Perioperative Services - Operating Room - RN/MSN
- Duarte, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Professional Practice Leader (PPL) is an RN who has acquired advanced, in-depth knowledge and expertise. The PPL functions as a nurse educator and clinical expert. In addition, the PPL will function as a clinician, consultant, leader and researcher.
The PPL educates RNs and patient care services (PCS) constituents by assessing, conceptualizing, diagnosing and analyzing complex clinical and non-clinical issues related to the continuum of cancer care. S/he will help constituents carry out the nursing process, develop a plan of care and related interventions and evaluate the patient’s response to care. The PPL promotes and supports the professional growth and development of individual practitioners and thereby supports the mission, vision and values of the Division of Nursing and the City of Hope National Medical Center.
The PPL works as part of team to provide educational and other services to a defined population of nurses and their patients and families. The PPL will provide nursing education to support the standards of The Joint Commission and other regulatory bodies.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Promotes patient care services that are efficient, safe, reliable, courteous and timely.
- Utilizes evidence based practice to promote the delivery of quality care.
- Ensures staff competence appropriate to their role and function in population specific care.
- Promotes the delivery of quality care consistent with the scope of practice of the discipline.
- Promotes timely, comprehensive education to patients and families and documentation of progress towards achievement of outcomes.
- Contributes to the achievement and maintenance of professional and regulatory standards.
- Promotes collaboration and teamwork among members of the healthcare team.
- Effectively communicates with customers and team members to meet departmental and organizational mission, vision and strategic plan; and customer service expectations.
- Maintains current knowledge, skills and competencies through involvement in professional continuing education activities.
- Serves as a role model for the promotion of efficient and effective utilization of resources.
- Leads performance improvement activities to promote continual improvement in care delivery.
- Demonstrates assimilation of core organizational values within own performance.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or related allied health field
- Two to three years oncology experience.
- Ability to manage multiple competing demands and proactively negotiate priorities
- Consistent and successful follow through on issues and problems
- Evidence of project management capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop staff and to appropriately delegate
- Function as a member of a cohesive management team
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with the interdisciplinary team
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel, Power Point
- Current California RN License
- BLS certification from the American Heart Association
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Experience as Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN)
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN)
- Advanced Oncology Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist (AOCNS)
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse Practitioner (AOCNP)
- Certified Pediatric Hematology Oncology Nurse (CPHON)
- Other related ANCC or ONCC recognized national certification
- Familiarity with EPIC
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top