Physician Relations Liaison _ East Valley
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Physician Liaison is responsible for the development and implementation of growth strategies focused on physicians, medical groups, hospital partners, and community based organizations for the Duarte campus in partnership with the broader business development and physician relations teams as part of the Physician Relations Management (PRM) Program. This position will initiate, nurture, and sustain relationships with identified partners within their specific service area to support overall growth strategies for City of Hope Duarte as outlined in the Strategic Plan.
The successful Liaison provides and recommends the appropriate programs, services, specific knowledge about treatments and background on City of Hope physicians. The overall goal of the position is to increase visibility of City of Hopeâ€™s services, increase referrals and new patient acquisitions.
Physician Liaison/ Relations Management
- Partner with new patient services/ Access team to ensure appropriate feedback received from the field and issues addressed
- Facilitate the retention of physician and hospital relationships.
- Complete face-to-face meetings with physicians, schedulers, practice managers, and medical staff from referring hospitals to ensure understanding, as well as to close business, ensuring that obstacles are identified and minimized.
- Effectively manage territory, conducting office visits to include:
- Education on services offered, enhancement and new advances
- Maintaining image (community-centered, patient-first, leading-edge provider)
- Offering excellent customer service
- Implementing new products/services/ protocols
- Communicating opportunities, market trends, and issues to appropriate management/staff in a timely manner
- Coordinate meetings between key staff, physician groups, and external customer groups to improve communication and relationships in order to increase referrals or resolve customer service issues
- Collaborates with clinical marketing, Foundation, Duarte physicians, community practice sites, and CME department
- Support attendance to continuing medical education (CME) events as needed.
- Contacts, meets with and orients each new Duarte-based provider
- Participate in meetings as needed to understand new programs, capital purchases or innovations and marketing initiatives
- Market service lines, research opportunities, and technology to new physicians to the system
- Regularly maintain and update database for all non-City of Hope physician and office staff contacts, ensuring compliance according to Stark law. Provide reports for frequent distribution to leadership
- Play active role in roll out of EpicCareLink and CareEverywhere as part of EPIC
Market Management and Sales Analytics
- Understand and provide service area intelligence to aid strategic development, operational flows and business growth initiatives
- Identify target markets in accordance with organizational strategy utilizing familiarity with hospital operations and existing reporting, tools and dashboards
- Evaluate and interpret market utilization data and market demographics, including market share data for primary or secondary facility service lines, ensuring that priorities are identified for both physicians and patient populations
- Interpret current physician referral patterns, trends, and financial margins, ensuring that resources are optimized
- Develop growth strategies for target markets and service lines and set goals and timelines for growing referral volumes based on new or established physician and outreach relationships
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Healthcare.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Professional experience with a minimum of 5+ years of experience in a healthcare/hospital in driving healthcare business development, physician relations, and/or network development is required.
- Prefer advance degree in healthcare administration.
- Nurse or surgical background is preferred or pharmaceutical or medical device sales.
- Proficient with all MS Office programs, contracting experience, excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to track and / or run reports from database or contact management experience.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills, financial acumen, and proven sales experience skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and direction
- Well-versed in oncology and treatment solutions; must be able to speak peer to peer; ability to address any concerns about referring patients to City of Hope
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Typically 40 hour work week, some evenings may be required. Requires travel outside of the office, valid driverâ€™s license and clean driving record is a must.
- Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting
- Smoke free environment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top