Physician Assistant - Dermatology
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Assists the attending physician or surgeon in providing a variety of patient care activities including writing orders, conducting rounds, and performing procedures.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of duties under the supervision of the attending physician or surgeon which may include daily rounds, completing progress notes or assisting the surgeon in the operating room.
- Performs or assists in routine laboratory, screening, therapeutic, diagnostic or patient care procedures.
- Reviews treatment and therapy plans. Orders therapy treatments, diagnostic laboratory and radiological tests/procedures, and therapeutic diets as necessary.
- Instructs and counsels patients in matters relating to health care management including diet, medication, growth and development, and physical and mental health.
- Obtains and records detailed and accurate medical histories. Performs complete physical examinations as necessary.
- Communicates changes in patient condition to attending physician or surgeon.
- Acts as a liaison between nursing staff or other services and physician.
- Facilitates referral of patients to health facilities, agencies and community resources.
- Reviews observations and completes patient charting.
- Recognizes and evaluates situations which call for immediate attention of the supervising surgeon or attending physician. As necessary, utilizes treatment procedures essential to preserve the life of the patient.
- Completes written documentation.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients, families, and other healthcare personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to maintain certification/licensure, and/or keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Must have a Master's Degree
- Must have three years structured acute care surgical or clinical practice
- Must have a current and valid California Physician Assistant Licensure
- Must have a current CPR Certification
- Must have certification or eligible for certification by NCCPA and registered with the state PAEC
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Related field of Science
- Specialty: Cutaneous Lymphoma
- Shift: Days
- Location: Duarte, California
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top