Phlebotomist LTA I
Draws blood from City of Hope patients and donors using appropriate approved procedures, guidelines and standards. Provides support and assistance with a variety of tasks within Clinical Pathology – Medical Oncology Laboratory, Outpatient Laboratory and Specimen Processing areas. Works under the direction of the Phlebotomy Supervisor as part of the Clinical Pathology department team in fulfilling department and medical center objectives.
- Draws blood in accordance with physician order using appropriate techniques and equipment.
- Observes patient for any unusual reactions or events, before, during and after procedure. Takes appropriate action following established guidelines.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of various aspects of processing specimens.
- Collects and delivers specimens for analysis, using appropriate or specified equipment for collecting and handling specimens. Ensures proper labeling and obtains pertinent clinical information on request forms.
- Centrifuges blood specimens in test tubes and capillary tubes to separate cells and sediment from blood serum.
- Coordinates and routes specimens to proper area of laboratory.
- Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department and interdepartmental objectives and maintain good employee relations.
- Greets patients, processes the laboratory orders, and directs patients to their next station.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
Minimum Education: High School or equivalent (Approved GED)
Minimum Experience: One year patient contact experience in a hospital setting, preferred. Meets State of California phlebotomist requirements.
Req. Certification/Licensure: California phlebotomy technician license required – Basic Life Support CPR Card from the American Heart Association.
Req. Protective Equipment: Gown, Lab Coat or Apron , Mask, Non-Sterile Medical Gloves.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top