Patient Safety Assistant
The Patient Safety Assistant is an individual who possess the skills and knowledge necessary to provide one-on-one safety assistance for patient whom alternatives or restraints may not be adequate or appropriate.
Minimum Education: High School Graduate or equivalent.
Minimum Experience: 6 months patient care experience in and acute or sub- acute facility or experience working in a hospital environment.
Req. Certification/Licensure: AHA BLS Certification
Requirements: Ability to read, write and converse in English
Preferred Education: High School Graduate or equivalent.
Pref. Certification/Licensure: Certification as a Nursing Assistant or completion of a Nursing Assistant program preferred.
Preferred Field of Expertise: Patient Care
Aptitude (Req./Pref.): Answer telephones, Coordinate requests and comprehend some medical terminology
Machines/Equip (Req./Pref.): Medical equipment and devices and Patient Call System
Working / Environmental Conditions: Contact with patients/families under varied circumstances. Likely exposure to infectious, radioactive, or biohazardous agents. Likely exposure to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals. Regularly exposed to unpleasant patient or unit elements. Subject to situations involving grief processes and related issues. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
Req. Protective Equipment: Eye and face Protection, gown, mask, non-sterile medical gloves and respirator
Physical Demands: Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking/sitting. Heavy physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 pounds). Lifts supplies/equipment
- Provides accurate, reliable, courteous and timely services to all customers.
- Delivers only the following patient care in a manner consistent with the scope of practice of their discipline and the standards established by City of Hope as expressed in the plans for provision of care and policies and procedures, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse:
- Observes the patient continuously with the patient in full view.
- Ensure that patient does not pull or dislodge lines, tubes, & dressing
- Assist patient up to the commode and/or bathroom
- Assist with turning and Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) with PCA presence in patient room.
- Assist in re-orienting confused/disoriented patients as needed.
- Never leaves the patient-utilizes the call light in the patient room for all relief or assistance as needed.
- Provides diversional activity for the patient as appropriate, i.e., card playing, conversation, reading, music, DVD’s etc.
- Demonstrates competence to their role and function in high risk or problem prone behaviors
- Maintains current knowledge and awareness of organizational and regulatory standards, policies and procedures that pertain to this position.
- Participates in a collaborative, empowered work environment as demonstrated through teamwork.
- Effectively communicates with all customers and team members to meet organizational goals and to provide customer satisfaction.
- Maintains current knowledge and skills through attendance and participation in organizations and departmental meetings and continuing education activities as applicable.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by appropriate and timely use of organizational resources.
- Actively participates in performance improvement activities to continuously improve service delivery.
- Demonstrates City of Hope values in individual work performance.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication – Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service – Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative – Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship – Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork – Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Sr Prospect Research Analyst
Working within the Foundation and Relations Department, Libby prepares and provides frontline fundraisers with prospective donor profiles—financing City of Hope’s outstanding patient care and clinical research.
Back to top