Patient Liaison Special Services, Director
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Patient Liaison Special Services coordinates and supports special interest patients around their care and entire experience at City of Hope. Serves as the 24/7 primary liaison between Development & External Affairs and the Medical Center to facilitate special services for prospective and established patients to access medical services. Forms part of the Patient Special Services Department/Team
Key Responsibilities include:
- Patient Liaison Special Services is the key contact for high profile patients. The Liaison interacts with Development/External Affairs to make certain that these patients have the smoothest possible interaction with City of Hope.
- Stewards current donors with the intent to increase their financial commitment and engagement to City of Hope. As appropriate, make referrals to Major Gift Officers for fundraising follow-up for the Champions of Hope grateful patient program
- Serves as point person with Patient Services Navigator to ensure that City of Hope's major donors and leadership volunteers will receive the kind of quality attention that mirrors the remarkable medical care provided by our physicians, nurses and other caregivers.
- Performs initial interface with patients and families upon arrival for their appointments; welcomes and greets; and through 24/7 availability by cell phone, offers support and assistance during and between appointments and in-patient visits.
- Helps patients and families navigate their visits and works to ensure service excellence; preparing for appointments by insuring that patient and family are informed, that appointments are properly scheduled, and that clinic staff are advised
- Interfaces when needed with physicians and other medical staff around patient care; coordinating referrals to Department of Supportive Care Medicine colleagues and services as appropriate.
- Takes a lead role in the creation of structured systems such as an automated referral process and a specialized program tracking database. Develops and manages the tracking and reporting process for department activities to ensure the highest level of customer service throughout the patients' entire experience at City of Hope.
- Provides regular feedback to Development & External Affairs leadership in a timely fashion with respect to the referred patients' and their families' overall experience at City of Hope, as to whether their experience with City of Hope meets the level of customer service that City of Hope strives to provide to all patients. This information will be used to develop strategies with respect to cultivating and possibly asking the patients for a major gift and/or considering a lead volunteer position within City of Hope.
- Works collaboratively in all functions with patient special services team members: Patient Services Navigator, Cancer Information Resource Nurse, and Director.
- Will provide VIP tour delivery for City of Hope administrative leadership and clinical/research staff, on occasion, as requested.
- External Contacts: Position will have daily interaction with prospects, donors, patients and VIPs.
- Attends meetings as required, and participates on committees as directed.
- Monitors and allocates resources, including delegating tasks and responsibilities
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Marketing or other related field.
- Experience may substitute for minimum education
- Must have at least 3 years of experience working in hospital/healthcare, development or similar role in concierge or patent special services environment.
- Must have experience interacting collaboratively with medical personnel, and providing significant working knowledge of hospital/healthcare practices and procedures with regards to delivery of care.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite
- Must have demonstrated experience working independently with minimal supervision
- Must possess the ability to effectively cultivate and maintain relationships
Preferred Education and Skills:
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience within an area requiring strong exercise of customer service experience/skills preferred.
- Previous experience in healthcare, science or an academic setting highly desired.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
ITS Administrative Services Manager
Always working on-the-go, Eleana organizes vigorous meeting schedules for City of Hope’s CIO and ITS executives—attentively guiding work flow to keep projects on target.
Back to top