Nurse Supervisor - Thousand Oaks
- Westlake Village, CA
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Clinical Supervisor is a licensed professional who is responsible for overseeing the clinical activities for the City of Hope Medical Foundation practice. This role works in conjunction with the Director of Clinical Operations to deliver direct medical management for a defined ambulatory population, according to standardized procedures and in collaboration with a physician advisor. Provides primary care within scope of license in collaboration with physicians. Professional practice as a health team member is defined by departmental policies with institutional approval. Emphasis is placed on health promotion and patient education, combining the qualities of both nursing and medicine. Acts as a patient advocate in all ethical and legal aspects.
Participates in the supervision of RNs, LVNs, M.A’s and other clinical staff. Partners with the Director of Clinical Operations on staffing, which includes, hiring, making work assignments, coaching, training, evaluating job performance and clinical competencies, and administering disciplinary actions, as appropriate. Participates in planning for financial, capital equipment and facilities needs of the City of Hope Medical Foundation Community Practice and related programs, including participation in and managing to the operating budget. Actively participates with peers, subordinates, and supervisors in constructive problem solving. Contributes to quality improvement initiatives, and corrective actions required to address regulatory and accreditation standards.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Utilizes the City of Hope nursing process in clinical practice.
- Assumes oversight of direct medical management of a defined patient population, according to standardized procedures and in collaboration with a physician advisor.
- Works with supervisor to develop solutions and systems to meet/exceed budgetary growth and targets.
- Monitors and audits the purchasing of all clinical equipment and supplies.
- Integral member of the management team, leading initiatives on employee engagement, staff development, etc.
- Oversees all infusion billing and attends annual coding competencies update and review.
- Assists in developing methods and systems for provision of medical care and overall department operations.
- Maintains open lines of communication with the physician and multidisciplinary health team regarding patient information.
- Assists the Utilization Coordinator and the Financial Counselor with obtaining chemo authorization and co-pay quotes.
- Communicates with COH departments to maintain functionality of all clinical equipment and supplies.
- Works with the Director to develops and implement staff education activities; Coaches staff and partners with the Director to counsel staff on behavior and clinical issues.
- Ensures that employees provide services that are accurate, reliable, courteous and timely.
- Supports and promotes the efforts of all care providers to deliver quality care.
- Ensures staff competence and promotes professional practice standards through education and monitoring.
- Supervises clinical staff in the delivery of quality care, treatment and service delivery by serving as a role model.
- Ensures that all professional and regulatory standards are met and maintained.
- Promotes collaboration and teamwork among all members of the health care team.
- Effectively communicates with all customers and team members to meet organization goals and customer services expectations.
- Ensures the efficient and effective use of resources.
- Leads and participates in performance improvement activities to evaluate the program's effectiveness in meeting patient care and departmental needs.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends and participates in meetings.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing
- Three to five years of experience as outpatient Oncology Nurse
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Sensitivity to intercultural relations
- Current CA Registered Nurse
- CPR certification from the American Heart Association
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- ONS Certification preferred
- Previous supervisory or program coordination experience preferred, Nursing/Oncology
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top