Nurse Manager, Case Management
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Assists the Case Management Senior Nurse Manager in the responsibilities for the daily operational needs of the Case Management Department. Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of case management patient care principles, standards of practice, social determinants of health and impact on transitions of care. Participates in the management of human and material resources as well as program planning and evaluation. Provides input and participates into the development and management of the budget. Provides supervision of employees, participates in hiring, assigns work, coaches and teaches, evaluates performance and completes disciplinary actions. Actively works to ensure optimal delivery of care as well as performance improvement initiatives. Able to actively collaborate with peers, subordinates and supervisors in constructive problem solving as well as to facilitate frequent team building interactions with staff.
Key Responsibilities include:
Individual must have the ability to influence people though the use of effective communication and facts, participates in hiring, assigning work schedules, coaching, training, completes annual performance evaluations and provides disciplinary actions as required. Is contributory in the preparation of the budget and does influence the outcomes with staffing. Responsible for participating in the oversight of daily operations, including staffing and scheduling of department staff to assure safe, high quality care for patients along the continuum, and in the areas of access to care, care progression during hospitalization and the development of a transitions of care plan. Oversees the pre-authorization processes that aid in establishing medical necessity and appropriate level of care, as indicated by the patient condition. Assures patient flow in coordination with the Nursing House Supervisor and unit managers. Monitors identified quality performance improvement targets and data in coordination with other hospital departments and other member so CM department leadership team.
Be a positive role model for assigned area(s). Encourage open and positive communication and provide excellent customer service. Advocates for COH, the staff and patients. Collaborates with internal and external customers to meet strategic goals. Is a change agent and encourages staff to participate in change. Monitors and controls resources (human and material). Encourages higher learning and professional development. Ensures staff competence and promotes professional practice standards through education and monitoring. Assures professional (including but not limited to ACMA Standards of Practice) and regulatory standards are met and maintained.
Planning and goal setting
- Assists in the management and implementation of departmental programs and goals that support the strategic plan for patient care services and the organization.
- Supports departmental implementation of new technology and services.
- Effectively communicates (written & oral) across the organization.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Supports standards for patient care management along the continuum of care utilizing the case management and nursing processes to assure patient care coordination is timely, safe and effective.
- Assures satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers with care and services that are delivered.
- Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments to support safe, high quality patient care and services.
- Assures compliance, and measures staff performance, with case management and regulatory standards.
- Measures performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient care standards
- Reports results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate.
- Promotes the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery of patient care.
- Supports and facilitates critical thinking of staff.
- Oversees daily operations including staffing and scheduling of department
- Participates in the hiring process.
- Participates in orientation and staff development.
- Fosters teamwork.
- Assists in the maintenance and monitoring of staffing plan.
- Provides oversight of temporary (registry/traveler) staff.
Fiscal and Budget
- Assists to monitor variances.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
- Minimum 3- 5 years of experience in hospital based nursing; 2 years in case management leadership role.
- Knowledge of personal computer (EPIC, Microsoft Office Suite), peripheral equipment and standard patient care equipment.
- Ability to be on-call frequently.
- Current California RN License
- American Heart Association BLS
Preferred education experience and skills:
- MSN or applicable equivalent
- Case Management certification preferred, ACMA or CCM
- 1-3 years oncology nursing experience
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Back to top