Nurse Manager - BMT & Cellular Therapy
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Nurse Manager is responsible for direct operational aspects, patient quality and patient experience of designated unit(s) on a 7-day/week, 24-hour basis in collaboration with the Director. Participate in the management of human and material resources as well as program planning and evaluation. Provides input and is expected to meet budget, revenue and expense targets. Supervises employees and hires, assigns work, coaches, and trains, evaluates performance, and completes disciplinary actions. Individually works to ensure optimal delivery of care, as well as performance improvement initiatives, either through direct involvement and membership or by occasionally leading Performance Improvement team efforts. Able to actively participate with peers, subordinates, and supervisors in constructive problem solving, as well as to facilitate frequent team building interactions with staff. Establishes teamwork and collaboration with physicians. Directs and provides oversight to all components of ambulatory nursing practice for designated areas. Ensures roles are established to support excellence in the patient experience and optimized clinic efficiency.
Be a positive leader with excellent people skills and nurturing of human resources. Encourage open and positive communication as an advocate for COH, the staff and our patients; collaborate with both internal and external customers to meet our strategic goals. Be a change agent and encourage staff to welcome change. Monitor and control resources (human and material), provide excellent customer service. Encourage higher learning/ professional development in staff.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manage and implement departmental programs and goals that support the strategic plan for the organization and for patient care services
- Support departmental implementation of new technology and services.
- Effectively communicate (written & oral) across the organization.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Establish standards for patient care to assure patient care is timely, safe and effective.
- Assure satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers with care and services that are delivered.
- Develop and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments to support safe and high-quality patient care and services.
- Assure regulatory standards are met
- Measure performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient care standards
- Report results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate.
- Promote the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery of patient care.
- Support and facilitate critical thinking of staff.
Personnel and Human Resource Management
- Recruit and maintain adequate numbers of competent staff to provide care and meet patient care standards
- Facilitate the orientation of new staff and the continuing education and professional development of existing staff in collaboration with Department of Clinical Practice and Education.
- Assure staff have current licenses, certifications and are competent to provide care.
- Manage and lead staff to develop collaborative working relationships within department and with other departments as applicable.
- Collaborates with human resources to provide counseling or performance improvement of staff as needed.
- Develop, maintain and monitor staffing plan for assigned units.
- Support and develop staff to participate in (shared governance) at the unit and organizational level.
- Provides oversight and manages temporary (registry/traveler) staff that may be assigned to department(s).
- Develop annual budget for assigned department(s)
- Monitor variances from budget on a periodic basis
- Collaborate with others to identify capital equipment and projects needs on an annual basis
- Develops annual staffing plan and submits for approval.
- Identifies need for modifications to annual staffing plan and submits justification for new positions or changes to staffing plan.
- Submits required documents for purchasing equipment, supplies, and or for department repairs
- Collaborates with director or VP in the development of ROI for new programs or services
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The position directly supervises:
- Nurse Care Coordinators
- Clinical Nurse
- Ambulatory Care Assistants
- Clerical Role Support
- Per Diem Staff
- Registry Staff
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- 3-5 years of experience as an Oncology Nurse; previous experience in a Nursing Leadership position
- RN license required (must be obtained within 6 months of hire date), American Heart Association BLS
- Oncology Nursing Society membership required
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Oncology Certification
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Meet Some of City of Hope's Employees
Gerry G.Clinical Nurse Manager
Gerry supports the nurse practitioners and staff in the Hematology Department’s Blood & Marrow Transplant Division, providing them with the tools they need to help patients prepare for their transplant journey.
Back to top